A/F Ratio Gauge

Addicted2bass

Im looking for a new A/F ratio gauge. I have a crappy APC one in there now that was with the car when i bought it and it doesnt even work right anymore. My friend is fiberglassing me up a a-pillar pod (had a cheapo universal one in there) so i figure this is a good time to find a new gauge. I want something nicer than the APC but im not looking to spend a shit ton of money either. I have a Autometer Phantom boost gauge in there that is nice enough for me, so maybe something that would match that? Heres a pic of what i have now.

065-1.jpg

Another quick question. If you notice in the pic my boost gauge is at like 8psi. It almost always does this after i shut the car off. It didnt when i first bought the car, it started sometime last year. Any idea what would cause that?

I always thought one that gives an actual numeric reading would be kind of cool. Like this, one but maybe find one in white to match the boost.

5578_d.jpg

That being said are A/F gauges even accurate? I had a couple friends in college with them in their imports and they were always reading crazy rich. My GTP has one and despite it's bigger injectors it always reads in the lean (usually off the scale lean).

if you roll the key forward, does it go to zero?

Yup goes back to zero when the key is turned forward.

I always thought one that gives an actual numeric reading would be kind of cool. Like this, one but maybe find one in white to match the boost.

5578_d.jpg

That being said are A/F gauges even accurate? I had a couple friends in college with them in their imports and they were always reading crazy rich. My GTP has one and despite it's bigger injectors it always reads in the lean (usually off the scale lean).

Yea thats the problem with my APC one. It either reads all the way at rich of it just bounces around like crazy. I was thinking of either a oil temp gauge or a volt gauge but those arent much more useful then a a/f ratio.

Yea i think thats what im gonna do. I can get one for like $72.

Id get a matching gauge to go with the boost.

then whats the issue? its because its losing the power it needs to move the needle. either live with it or wire it directly into a 12volt source that is always hot, but i don't know how much current it would draw, so figure that in as well.

then whats the issue? its because its losing the power it needs to move the needle. either live with it or wire it directly into a 12volt source that is always hot, but i don't know how much current it would draw, so figure that in as well.

I was just curious since it didnt do that for like the first year i had the car, its not a big deal.

It bounces around and reads rich on accleration because thats what your engine is runnin. You have a crapy narrowband sensor and gauge. Nothings wrong with it.. but it is ugly :lol:

You wanna know what your actual AFR, get the AFx made by NGK, scrap the Bosch sensor it comes with and buy a NTK sensor.. It will set you back about 4 bills..

i was thinking about the guage not zeroing and might have come up with an idea: would putting a small capacitor on the power line give it enough power after the ignition goes off for it to zero? i'm no electrical expert, but its been an idea i've been throwing around. and if it would work, theres the possibility that your guage has a capacitor in it that wore out, which is why it used to zero, but can't anymore.