R12 to R134a Coolant change

runt

Ok.....this isn't for me. But I was talking to a kid who owns a Regal with a 3.1. Nice car if I don't add. Anyway, he did the conversion from R12 to R134a (he didn't say why, was just telling me that he did) and he says that his check engine light is now on and it never has been before. I don't know how to read codes but I did tell him to go do Autozone and see what they say. He also told me that just before he did that, his car was involved in a small wreck. Nothing serious, just kinda put a few dents in the door and some paint loss. He asked me if the car was hit hard enough would that have something to do with the light comming on. I really don't know, so anything?

Thanks for your help!!

he could have just converted it with out vaccing the r-12 out thats bad bad might want to ask him if he had it vacced or made sure there was no r-12 in it? does it blow cold air?

im not sure if it would kick the ses or ce on or not anyone?

he could have just converted it with out vaccing the r-12 out thats bad bad might want to ask him if he had it vacced or made sure there was no r-12 in it? does it blow cold air?

I'm with PaPaPooh, was it properly evacuated?

What year Regal? If it's OBDI, you can scan at home REALLY easy.

If the two refridgerents mixed, there's a good possiblity that the AC Pressure Sensor is tweaking out.

It's located on the high pressure line and that could explain the Service Engine Light.

Bottom Line: scan the system and figure out what circuit is flippin' out on him.

Get back to us when he gets that accomplished.

- Erik

I converted my 3.1 GP to 134a and I have the same check engine lighte prolbem.........

but it doesnt put out any codes......but I dont have a miss and no overheating or anything so it doesnt bother me......

only thing close to a problem Ive had is.....I put in 2 and almost another half cans of 134a so you can only leave the ac on for a few minutes at a time or it will freeze you to death......but exept for getting way too cold I havent had any problems from the conversion

I converted my 3.1 GP to 134a and I have the same check engine lighte prolbem.........

but it doesnt put out any codes...

Are you sure? Cause' that's not right...

The OBD system should always give you a code(s) reqardless of an error or not.

If no errors, the SES light should flash code #12.

If errors stored, those will flash after three cycles of code #12.

Oh, btw, it's a 92 regal

Like Slade901 sayed, you can ground the system and read the codes yourself.

All you need is a test wire or even a paperclip.

The paperclip trick always gets the ricers... :lol:

- Erik

I switched mine over to the 134 and my a/c didnt last long till the pressure switch went bad. Even doing everything right I dont think our a/c pump likes the 134. I want my r12 back just dont want to pay the big bucks for it per pound. I think its 60 bucks a pound here which is one can. :roll:

Funny, I never knew that if you're running low on A/C refrigerant that your SES light goes on. My system uses R-12 and prior to recharging it, it was very low and my SES lgiht never lit up. Thankfully, since I owned my car the SES light never lit up. :)

I'm with PaPaPooh, was it properly evacuated?

What year Regal? If it's OBDI, you can scan at home REALLY easy.

If the two refridgerents mixed, there's a good possiblity that the AC Pressure Sensor is tweaking out.

It's located on the high pressure line and that could explain the Service Engine Light.

Bottom Line: scan the system and figure out what circuit is flippin' out on him.

Get back to us when he gets that accomplished.

- Erik

Funny, I never knew that if you're running low on A/C refrigerant that your SES light goes on. My system uses R-12 and prior to recharging it, it was very low and my SES lgiht never lit up. Thankfully, since I owned my car the SES light never lit up. :)

maybe your SES light is burnt out :lol:

Nope, my lights up for 2 seconds when I start the engine. It also flashes quickly when I turn the ignition switch on "run" but not "start".

Nope, my lights up for 2 seconds when I start the engine. It also flashes quickly when I turn the ignition switch on "run" but not "start".

in that case.... you might be one lucky person ;) :D :lol:

but it doesnt put out any codes...

Are you sure? Cause' that's not right...

The OBD system should always give you a code(s) reqardless of an error or not.

If no errors, the SES light should flash code #12.

If errors stored, those will flash after three cycles of code #12.

Oh, btw, it's a 92 regal

Like Slade901 sayed, you can ground the system and read the codes yourself.

All you need is a test wire or even a paperclip.

The paperclip trick always gets the ricers... :lol:

- Erik

I havent learned to use the code reader thing yet so I had my bro do it for me and he saide it gave off no errors so I assumened no codes...but ya learn somthin new everyday dont ya

hey hey hey....

U want to just put r-12 back in?

I have some do it yur self cans I could sell to ya..

R-12 goes for about $4.50 a ounce, and con only be gotten in 30 lbs containers these days....

I have 12oz do it yur self cans, that I will part with for 25 bux each plus shipping... thats like $1.56 a ounce!!!! find it for that these days....

I have 7 cans, and a adaptor if any one needes some...

let me know..

later

joe

Hola! $25.00/can for R-12? I used RedTek Refrigerant and it's colder than R-12, compatible with both R-12 and R-134a, and it has built in compressor oil. I had my done for free but if I were to purchase RedTek Refrigerant it only costs $9.00/can and that's in Canadian currency!

hey hey hey....

U want to just put r-12 back in?

I have some do it yur self cans I could sell to ya..

R-12 goes for about $4.50 a ounce, and con only be gotten in 30 lbs containers these days....

I have 12oz do it yur self cans, that I will part with for 25 bux each plus shipping... thats like $1.56 a ounce!!!! find it for that these days....

I have 7 cans, and a adaptor if any one needes some...

let me know..

later

joe

Hola! $25.00/can for R-12? I used RedTek Refrigerant and it's colder than R-12, compatible with both R-12 and R-134a, and it has built in compressor oil. I had my done for free but if I were to purchase RedTek Refrigerant it only costs $9.00/can and that's in Canadian currency!

where can I get this RedTek Refrigerant? and by compatible, you mean I can just shoot it into a R-12 line or R-134a with no problems? (my car is starting to be a bit slow on the cooling, and my bro is completely out of cooling power, lol)

I'm not trying to dis you dude, I'm just thinking that's quite a hefty price. Mind you, I don't know how much R-12 is now a days, but if you're living in Canada then it's pretty much impossible to order it.

I guess it's good to hang on to those cans, if someone who insists on having R-12 needs them, then you can make some decent cash.

alright..... that work for ya.... thats cool

Im just putting it out there so if people need it... they know that they dont have to pay up the ass for it...

thats all..

later

joe

I had a mechanic order it for me. I don't know who the manufacturer is though. Here in Canada you can't order that shit unless you've got an A/C license, and that isn't something you simply write a test to get.

Yes, RedTek is compatible with both R-12 and R-134a, it has it's own compressor lubricant and it's damn cold. It's propane based, so you better make sure your system isn't leaking. Or, if it has a slight leak like mine, make sure that the leak isn't anywhere near the exhaust manifolds. :)

where can I get this RedTek Refrigerant? and by compatible, you mean I can just shoot it into a R-12 line or R-134a with no problems? (my car is starting to be a bit slow on the cooling, and my bro is completely out of cooling power, lol)

I had a mechanic order it for me. I don't know who the manufacturer is though. Here in Canada you can't order that shit unless you've got an A/C license, and that isn't something you simply write a test to get.

Yes, RedTek is compatible with both R-12 and R-134a, it has it's own compressor lubricant and it's damn cold. It's propane based, so you better make sure your system isn't leaking. Or, if it has a slight leak like mine, make sure that the leak isn't anywhere near the exhaust manifolds. :)

Swank! :twisted:

Ok...quick update. I FINALLY found the kid and asked him about the coolant stuff...and before I could even finish, he told me that the car is gone. I guess he got T-boned from some lady in a T-Bird (kinda ironic, don't ya think?) I guess she was moving pretty good and the car just isn't worth it to get it fixed, it would raise his insurance rates too much or something (I think he's had a wreck before this, but even tho it was her fault, it would still mess with his insurance) but I just wanted to tell everyone thanks for their help!!!

When switching from R-12 to 134a you should remove all the oil from the system, (A/C not engine). Usually having to pull the compressor and dumping out the oil, and blowing dry nitrogen through the piping to remove the rest. What they don't tell you is there is a special oil for 134a.

134a and r-12 oil don't work well together, and can cause multiple problems.

BC