Dim blinker indicators

spiderw31

The blinker indicators in the instrument cluster of my GP are really dim. Dim enough that when I'm wearing sun glasses, I can barely even see them at all. Is this normal? It's highly annoying, since the click sound is also so faint that I can rarely hear it. As such, I've managed to forget my blinkers were still on several times, and today I managed to not notice my hazards were on for several miles. :willynilly:

Check your blinker fluid! :lol:

maybe you should replace the bulbs in the cluster? older bulbs sometimes lose intensity when they are old...

Hahaha... blinker fluid :lol:

Seriously though, everything seems to work fine, the indicators on the dash are just really dim. If it's normal, I'll just get used to it. I just figured I'd ask before potentially tearing into the dash over a nonexistent problem.

try replacing the flashers?

Not trying to be rude, but why would I do that? Everything works, just dimly. Would the flasher module have something to do with that?

I just thought of something... Are the blinker indicators supposed to dim when the headlights are turned on? If so, I wonder if they are somehow stuck dimmed...

I second what ken said there, replace the bulbs in the cluster itself, they are 20 years old now. I have notice that in first gen GP's (my 89) that they are a little dim, but not as dim as you are describing.

I just thought of something... Are the blinker indicators supposed to dim when the headlights are turned on? If so, I wonder if they are somehow stuck dimmed...

no

and you can actually buy an EXTRA LOUD blinker....

Hahaha... blinker fluid :lol:

Seriously though, everything seems to work fine, the indicators on the dash are just really dim. If it's normal, I'll just get used to it. I just figured I'd ask before potentially tearing into the dash over a nonexistent problem.

try replacing the flashers?

Not trying to be rude, but why would I do that? Everything works, just dimly. Would the flasher module have something to do with that?

you had stated that they sounded faint.

I second what ken said there, replace the bulbs in the cluster itself, they are 20 years old now. I have notice that in first gen GP's (my 89) that they are a little dim, but not as dim as you are describing.

Bah... after reading your post, I noticed the second line way down in Ken's post. Reading fail! :redface: I'll change the bulbs out and see what happens. How hard is it to get at the bulbs?

My TGP is the same way. If its sunny out i really cant see them and they make very little noise. I drive for miles with my blinker on sometimes.

i do that also, but my car has a chime that comes on if you drive the car for over 1 minute with the blinkers on

OK cool. Thanks for the info all :high5:

I'll see if there are any bulbs out there that are supposed to be brighter. I assume the bulbs are the standard 194s?

i do that also, but my car has a chime that comes on if you drive the car for over 1 minute with the blinkers on

Part of the Old Man Option Package?? :lol:

To answer the bulb question, yes they are 194's and when you pull out the old bulbs, you will see that they are saughtered (sp) in to the socket, break out the old bulbs, and put new ones in, before you put the new ones in, bend the metal tabs on the bulbs straight down put them in the socket then bend the tabs over to the sides of the socket to make contact with the socket, hard to visualize but you will see what I mean when you pull the bulbs out.

Part of the Old Man Option Package?? :lol:

:lol2:

..hard to visualize but you will see what I mean when you pull the bulbs out.

It sounds almost like how you'd replace a bulb on a string of Christmas tree lights, so I can visualize. But the bulbs are seriously soldered to the sockets? Bizarre... :eek: