need help w/throttle body cleaning

Dannymik

I want to clean the throttle body on my 3100SFi. Can you guys give me instructions on how to remove the TB and then a recommended cleaner for it. I thought I read that brake cleaner can be used :? . And do you have to replace any gaskets or o rings in the process. My car has 75K on it so it might have some shit blocking any air from getting in there. Thanks in advance!

w-body.jpg

i just did this last night. i used brake cleaner and it worked fine but i dont know if thats whats techincally s'possed to be used. its pretty easy, being that i am a mechanical idiot i was still able to do it. ill tell you what i did but im sure somone here will have a more proper or politically correct way of doing it. First u remove ur air box & ducting/intake, obviously. next i took that black bracket off the top. theres 3 screws 8mm i think 2 on top one kinda hidden below. the bottom one is a nut. then theres 3 bolts on TB. one on the left, right, and right bottom. the right bottom is a pita. theres a nut holding a coolant passage to it and once u remove that nut you need a deep socket because its threaded onto the stud you need to remove. i had my dad hold it out of the way while i undid it. thats about it and i didnt need to replace anything. i was about to bypass the tb heater while i had it off but didnt have any suitable hose laying around. oh yea.....and make sure the throttle and CC cables do NOT pull off the ends. they are a huge pita to get back on!

I cleaned the TB just now...not that bad of a job. It was caked with dark brown shit, but not to bad for 75,000. I used carb cleaner and tried a little brake cleaner. Both worked equal. I brake torqued to about 2200 rpms and tore loose for a bit, which doesn't happen to often! Thank you smell for the help...a cleaner TB is always a plus :wink: !

w-body.jpg

Yeah, no shit, eh? Brake cleaner is for brakes! Carb cleaner is for carbs! Use throttle body cleaner for your throttle body.

BRAKE CLEANER? :shock:

I was told that even carb cleaner was too harsh for a EFI TB.

so, I used some TB cleaner, worked great.

Yeah, no shit, eh? Brake cleaner is for brakes! Carb cleaner is for carbs! Use throttle body cleaner for your throttle body.

You'd be amazed...

Choose and read, many of them have the same solvent compound.

- Erik