Help with ABS

phantomshado

While checking the brake pads, noticed that the back brakes are not stopping the car at all. After bleeding the master cyl, the center two lines (ones with ABS that go to the rear) have no pressure. Checked the relay and the 60A fuse, and both are working. Any tips????

its a 1994 cutlass coupe. Here's the full rundown.

A few days ago I noticed that the odometer had rolled to 122800, and I realized that I hadn't done the brakes in a while, so I was going to give them a quick touch up, and be good with it. Today,I tried and found the parking brakes to work just fine, however, there is no stopping power with the brake pedal pushed. The wheels just spin freely. I thought that was weird, so I opened the hydro line in each of the back calipers, adn there was no spray of fluid. I then went to the master cyl, which has four ports, one to each wheel. The outside ports, which go to the front wheels had pressure, and fuild bleed. The center two ports had no pressure, or fluid drain with the lines loosened. I checked the 60A fuse that controls the power, and it is fine. Then I checked to big relay box, the one that is adjacent to the fog lamp relay, and that too is fine. There must be something wrong between the relay and the master cyl, maybe even the master cyl.

Any ideas on what this might be, and how I can fix it? Also, what are the costs that I'm looking at????

If it's a master cylinder, you in for a field day of homeside tear-down.

But, before you get into the big stuff, I'd seriously recommend taking specs on the rear brakes.

* Double check pad and rotor width to make sure they're in size regulation.

* Have you bled the brake system to make sure there's no air in the lines?

* Do the rear calipers show any movement when the brake pedal is depressed?

Gen I W-Bodies have a nasty history of "freezing" rear caliper and it's very rare to see a master cylinder fail these days.

Have it looked over again and follow OEM guidelines to ensure ruling out the obvious.

- Erik

i'm assuming your abs light is on if so.

you need to take it to the dealer, they will hook up a tech2. tell the the rear brakes don't work and that they need to hone the pistons in the abs assembly. what happens is the pistons in the abs unit get stuck in the wrong postion and lock the fluid out from going to the calipers.