engine temperature??

douellette

hello everyone... i have a 97 cutlass supreme and i was wondering what the "normal" reading on the temp gauge is supposed to be? im not sure if my gauge/sensor is working correctly. when its "fully warmed up" it stays at the second line out of a total of four lines. to me that dosnt seem like its quite right? i know its hot because the heater blows hot.

The temp gauges in most of these cars are not to be taken seriously. If you would like to know what your car is actually running at, find someone with a scangauge and drive around with it plugged in.

mine has the 3100. would it be just easy enough to just replace the temp gauge coolant sensor to see if thats the problem? the car has 154k miles and the sensor is probably only like $10-$15?

Didn't a few of the 97's also get LQ1s

Jamie

In Lumina's and such, but '96 was the final year for the twin cam in the Cutlass.

ohhh ok, I knew they were in the Lumina's had them cause I took the top end from a 97.

Jamie

NORMAL.

the 96+ cars use a 3 wire temp sensor which is not as fast reading the temp as the separate sensor on 95- cars. as a result, the readings are relatively broad and under informative. of course... this was due to people who thought the earlier style was too responsive and indicative of a problem....

okay so nothing to worry about. anyone know where i can get a coolant level sensor cheap?? mines turning the low coolant light on but the system is full haha

okay so nothing to worry about. anyone know where i can get a coolant level sensor cheap?? mines turning the low coolant light on but the system is full haha

Mine does that too! I just waited till the light burned out :lol:

Just means I have to check it whenever I do an oil change.

Jamie