A/C Repair!!

xtremerevolution

i'm dirty as shit working on my car right now trying to fix a/c. where the hell does that orifice tube go? I was told it should be replaced as a wear item but i've taken apart all of the plumbing in the engine bay and can't find jack.

thanks

Yep, I figured it out. The fitting connect was covered up by a bunch of wiring so I didn't see it.

A/C blows ice cold (seriously) for the first time in 2 years. The orifice tube was gunked and clogged up beyond belief.

I used two cans of pag oil and two cans of refrigerant. I'll let you guys know the size of those cans later.

I replaced all of the o-rings I could find after having disconnected all of the plumbing in the engine bay, and also replaced the accumulator.

It was a surprisingly easy job, although time consuming.

One other thing. Does the passenger fan always kick on when the A/C turns on? Or is it only after a certain temperature? The fan worked before, but I didn't notice it turn on at any point while the A/C was on. Granted, the temperature read under the half mark the whole time as well.

Its been too long since the A/C worked for me to remember if its supposed to turn on all the time or not.

One other thing. Does the passenger fan always kick on when the A/C turns on? Or is it only after a certain temperature? The fan worked before, but I didn't notice it turn on at any point while the A/C was on. Granted, the temperature read under the half mark the whole time as well.

Its been too long since the A/C worked for me to remember if its supposed to turn on all the time or not.

Yes, that is normal.

Yes, that is normal.

Awesome! I was getting a bit scared that I'd have to get my hands dirty tomorrow. Today was 80 degrees, tomorrow is supposed to be 85, and Monday is supposed to hit 88. If I get sent to the San Fernando Valley to do work like I do every now and then, the temperatures easily hit 90 degrees which feels more like 100 degrees if you're sitting in traffic.

Does anyone know how much refrigerant is supposed to be in this system? Or should I just keep filling it up until it reaches a certain pressure point? How much pressure should there be in the system? After adding two cans of refrigerant and two cans of PAG oil with the compressor running, I'm sitting at 20PSI.

There should be a sticker somewhere in the engine bay saying how much to put in.

mines above the driver strut tower, good place to start?

so the cans I put in were 13oz, and 2 lb is 32oz, so I went and got a third can and filled up the system with that, making it 39oz total. pressure is consistent at 45psi, which is still well in the green on the psi gauge. its been 80 degrees all day and the air blows ice cold, as it should, so i'm happy. :)