head light lens cleaning

timbit_69

Now that i have brighter head lights i am looking to find out how to clean my lenses. one is brand new(due to a front end colision[not my fault]) and the other is Factory. the factory one has yellowed and hazie. how can i get it to match the new one ???? If at all possible ???

You can try cleaning it, but it won't really work too well. All plastic lenses eventually turn yellow. You will have to replace it to match the new one.

they arn't plastic they are glass!

Just go to the junkyard and pick the best lenses off of the variety of cars they have(make sure to get a glass one)..... CLR will not restore or clean the glass back to original shape, just remove oxidation. As well good luck getting pits and chips to polish out. BTW if you do have a plastic lens, try the new Meguiars Plastix polish, nice stuff.

If you saw my posts there, i mentioned that Blue Magic stuff. I found a better material, that works beter, and easier to find.

Its the Mothers Alum polish for wheels. I had some, caus me being an idiot wanted to clena my wheels. Then i found out there was a clearcoat...but back to subject....

Just polish them by hand...i used a terry cloth. I did them twice. If you want to...i think i just got the pics devloped showing an old one and new one.

Yes, it will turn yellow again over time, this is something you will have to do now and then. I didn try wax...i didn tthink that was really safe. I just do it when i do major details on my car.

Jon

Are you sure it's glass? I didnt know they used them on GM '91+ cars in that price range

yea they are bc when i got in the accident that i mentioned the impact of the girl's car's strut hitting my hood and light. it was shattered and i event got cut when i swept my hand on the hood to get some of her paint off.

to further explain the accident.... She had pulled out in front of me(10 feet or so). i was doing 50kph and had NO time to get out of the way... i was surprised i had time to put the brakes on in time... ABS did nothing!!

I had T-boned her Saturn SC-1 on the drivers side rear Quarter panel, to the point that her whole trunk was shifted 1.5" over to the passenger side. i hit her Square in the middle of her rear wheel which broke every suspention piece on that side... the top of the wheel cambered out and brought the strut and tower with it, smashing into the drivers half of the hood and light etc... The good thing was i didn't have to pay anything to get it fixed(not even a duductable) since she was at fault her insurance payed the $4000 in repair costs, her car was a write off.

And to make things even better she had just gotten her car back from a colision repair centre the day before due to another accident she caused 5 days earlier..... :x 5 Days!!!!!!! :bash:

i found out that she cannot be insured anymore because of the more than 4 accidents she has had from bad driving in the past 5 months.

4 accidents in 5 months, and they say 16-24 year old males are the highest risk for accidents.... well they haven't come to London to see all the old F*#@ers that can't Drive or choose to drive 10-20 KPH below the speed limit. As soon a i become a Cop i am going to hunt down all the Dumb ass drivers we have here and beat them like Rodney King!! :twisted: (Sorry not trying to offend any one by that just using that as a visual example of the brutal beating they are going to get on behalf of all "normal drivers out there...)

Sorry guys i had to get that off my chest.... Feel alot better now.... :peace:

Sorry dude, I guess your W-Body is better than mine. My lenses are plastic. At least I think they are... :)

You can try cleaning it, but it won't really work too well. All plastic lenses eventually turn yellow. You will have to replace it to match the new one.

they arn't plastic they are glass!

Quick question for you. Was she hot?

ummm...... :nono: NO not at all she was F*UGLY :yikes:

well sorta more like hunchback ape lady, that doesn't shower, and wears coke bottle bottom glasses...

For plastic lenses, I've had good luck with using meguiars rim polish.. just buff it..

if you want to go the extra mile (or your lenses are in really rough shape), use high grit sandpaper (ie 1500, 2000) then polish. Works great on my talon.

If this is the 95 Lumina, they only came with plastic headlights, and yes, the headlights could shatter because they're made of polycarbonate plastic.

I've had good luck wetsanding with 800-grit then onto 1500-grit, then polishing with a buffer and polishing compound. That should get them good as new.