A/C Self-Service

xtremerevolution

So now that I'm in California, I remember why we need A/C. Chicago isn't anywhere near as bad, as I only needed it for 3 months of the year. However, its already getting uncomfortable to drive around, especially being a field technician for work.

So I decided to finally start fixing my A/C.

I just ordered following parts from rockauto.com:

A/C Accumulator

A/C System Valve Core and Cap Kit

A/C Orifice Tube

A/C System O-Ring & Gasket Kit

Came out to $44.55 shipped.

Here's what I have to go by so far:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1665946

Any other advice you guys can give me before I start?

I'll be picking up those A/C Manifold Gauges from a nearby auto store soon, along with some refrigerant.

What oils do I need?

I take it all the freon leaked out?

if so feed some UV dye into it and find out where it is leaking. If i was a betting man I'd say it is leaking out the condensor

GM is even putting dye in from the factory. so you should do it too. the condenser on my tgp was leaking so i replaced it 5 yrs ago. it has been fine since. i did my own 134 conversion. put in pag oil, and then put in appropriate amount of 134. i also replaced the accumulator as there is a desiccant material in there thats absorbs moisture. was told by an a/c tech that is what had to be changed. it still has a small leak but for the most part it has worked well for almost 5 yrs. it is not usually too bad here in s.e. mich. but it can get humid.

looks like everyones got it covered.

If you were thinking about R&Ring the starter any time soon, do it before you recharge. Its easier with the lines disconnected from the compressor.

Anyhoo

:lol: at Self service

sorry

the company i work for used to make the desiccant bags for the accumulators. we don't really do that anymore cause delphi is buying from mitsubishi cause they're cheaper. at least for gm i think it was delhpi that does the a/c stuff for gm. i think most auto makers buy from the cheaper mitsubishi.

You are going to need some way of putting the system into a vacuum for at least 15 minutes. This will boil off any mositure in the system and prevent freeze ups.

If you lived closer to me I'd just charge it for free for you. Our A/C machine at work is fully automated. You just enter the amount of R134A to put in and walk away.

You are going to need some way of putting the system into a vacuum for at least 15 minutes. This will boil off any mositure in the system and prevent freeze ups.

If you lived closer to me I'd just charge it for free for you. Our A/C machine at work is fully automated. You just enter the amount of R134A to put in and walk away.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out that vacuum part. Argh!

Does anyone live near Southern California who could help me out?

the mineral spirits will more than likely take care of most of the moisture if any is there, you may find that an empty a/c system will not want to take a charge, you can avoid this by jumping the compressor and making it take the charge.

remember that the amount of r-12 refrigerant that it used to take will be different from the amount of 134 that you put back in. there should be a factory yellow lable underhood somewhere, usually on pass strut support. stay cool

I want to see someone use that freeze12 stuff and see how well it works.

Correct

Isn't mineral spirits just regular paint thinner?

I might just try that.

Except your car uses R134-a...

while your system is apart run it through the lines and blow it through with air compressor you can even run it through the condensor too. let it sit for a little while any that is left behind will evaporate soon enough. use it to clean the ends of the lines before you put on new o's.use a little of your oil to dress the new o's. don't run the mineral spirits through the drier, there is absorbant material inside it. some local part stores will keep mineral spirits or equivilant solvant on shelf just for this.

I did not vacuum out my A/C system, just replaced all the o-rings and put oil in the compressor when I converted from R12 to R134-a, the system had been empty for years. Charged, it gets down to 38* now...

Freeze 12 is a blended refrigerant mainly consisting of R-134a, so when switching to it, you should do everything that you would normally do when switching from R-12 to '134a.

54178.JPG

Used this today to recharge a 1998 Suzuki Esteem A/C. Imagine a small shitbucket car with a small A/C system.

you guys probably don't believe how cold the air is now - but the center vents are -10ºC (14ºF)