I need some input on this

MommyTaz022200

As long as nothing goes wrong my engine will be going back into my car later today, after I get some sleep. I have just spent over $2K rebuilding it, and do not want to have to do it again (well... at least for a long time) My cylinders had to be bored out so now my pistons are .50 mm oversized. I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not. Everything else is unmodified from factory.

What I need to decide is what kind of oil and filter to use? I like to use the same kind all the time. I'm in collage and am on a tight budget so I can't afford $40 oil changes, which leave synthetic out. After what I have read about Fram oil filters, I don't want to use them either. I know they're the cheapest, but I can afford an extra $2 on the filter for my engine to run longer.

I'm also planning to use the green antifreeze. I think it was mixed before, and could have been part of the reason my engine had problems. I bought a new radiator, heater core, hoses, overflow, and got anything else in the cooling system acid washed, including the oil cooler. Would there be any benifit to using Dex-Cool, or is my plan with the green more benifical to the engine?

well, the green stuff tends to corrode aluminum after awhile, so dex-cool would probably be something to consider... I'm gonna be switching over soon...

and just use the AC Delco oil filter.... as for oil.... I can't really say.... except that 5 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic was only $45 - 50 Canadian....

Use regular oil for the first 5000 miles or so. Some change it sooner, some later to synth. In your case, just use mobil 1. For breaking the engine in, ANY cheap oil is good, cause you will be dumping it out after 20 minutes, 25 miles, 100 miles, 250 miles, 500, 1000, 3000 from then on (or 5000, just keep an eye on it). Yes, you should change it and the filter at those intervals during break in because those rings are gonna wear a lot, and you dont want that crap in your nice new bearings.

Also, after you have about 500 miles on it, run it up to 4000 in first, then let off and let the engine do the braking. This will help seat the rings. Do this once every time you fill up the gas tank (good interval), 3 seperate times. That should do it.

Oh, and if you change out the coolant when it needs it, green is fine. If you want to have longer change intervals, use orange. Mixing them will make it all like it were green, so whatever you decide on, stick with it.

If you have green now, you MUST get it ALL out. Heat core, drain the block with both drain plugs, and flush it out with water. PITA for what you get out of the orange stuff.

• 10 years later...

They were recalled back to Zeta Reticuli about 7 years ago. Are you checking the dates on these ancient threads? 2003 dude.

Is what ido when the forum dies down and i have nothing to ask. I have add what can i say? :)

They were recalled back to Zeta Reticuli about 7 years ago. Are you checking the dates on these ancient threads? 2003 dude.

Who are these people?

Older members who don't really post anymore. Why?

Also please be mindful of the dates when replying to threads like this. And if you have a honest question go ahead and ask it as I'm sure someone will know but really...to ask who these people are is not a reason to bump a thread like this.

Funny how things change over the years. We now know that Dex Cool Turns acidic when its not properly pressurized. And Fram filters have come a long way In 10 years but I still want to run one now. Not because they were inferior filters in the day because the damn things Tore in half when I was trying to take him back off.