Warm engine bay?

Maverick

Ive been noticing that every time I got to check my oil after the car has been running, the entire engine bay is hot. It radiates the heat incredably, almost as if theres no way for the warm air to get out, or the cold air to get in. Any ideas on how to keep things a bit cooler?

well.... the Z's do tend to get pretty warm.... I dunno, maybe taking the plastic things off the hood louvres will help.... not sure tho

Agreed, the DOHC's radiate tons of heat after the engine if off. But, thats not always a bad thing; especially when you make small trips or whatnot. But, if you want to help lower the engine bay temp, pull the plastic rain guards on your hood louvers. Also, may want to consider a cooler thermostat (@ 180 degrees) and a manual radiator fan switch. But, I wouldn't sweat it; unless you need to get under the hood right away for a repair, and that's not recommended with hot parts. Thermal expansion is a big deal; you pull off hot parts, it's highly possible they won't fit back on the motor.

- Erik

hot, yes, but, the DOHC is the only engine I've worked on that can give almost first, if not first, degree burns from checking the oil, hell, when my truck was like 5 degrees from overheating, it was only just slightly hotter than my Z and its engine bay, since it's all compact in there, it gets a lot hotter

well.... the Z's do tend to get pretty warm.... I dunno, maybe taking the plastic things off the hood louvres will help.... not sure tho

Would anything of danger happen if it did rain, or snowed, and the mositure got into the engine bay?

I don't really think so.... since mine are only held on by like half the brackets, and I haven't noticed any problems. I'm gonna be taking them completely out later tonight.... I can't guarantee when it'll rain next, though

Would anything of danger happen if it did rain, or snowed, and the mositure got into the engine bay?

No, a engine is a self contained system.

The only issue you'll have is if you have a custom open-cone intake.

There's a slight chance you'll get water in the intake / motor and that's not good.

The louvers are so high up on the hood, however, I don't see it as a problem.

- Erik

Thanks for all the brilliant advice so far, now say I do instal a custom air intake (planning for the labour day monday), what would happen if water got into that? Engine sieze?

Thanks for all the brilliant advice so far, now say I do instal a custom air intake (planning for the labour day monday), what would happen if water got into that? Engine sieze?

I think the official term is "Water Locked". What happens is when liquid water gets into the intake / combustion chamber and combustion cannot be preformed. By then, you'll have to disassemble the top-end of the motor, dry off, and re-install hoping nothing serious was affected. It's mainly more of a concern for the guys who run a CAI through a non-protected wheel-well when diriving through deep puddles.

- Erik

A little bit, not much. Too much and you crack heads and blocks.

I used to have my air filter in the fender well but every time it rained there was just enough opening in the fender well for the tire to splash water everywhere drenching the filter in the process. Add to that the low pressure caused the turbo to suck oil out of itself and i got this congealed mess in the IC and intake system.

If you install a fenderwell intake be very carefull, where I had my filter I would have never thought it was possible for it to get wet but it did.

there are K&N prechargers and other stuff you can do to protect your car from getting water into the intake system. one is a precharger wrap the k&n makes that goes over your filter to stop most of that but doesnt reduce air flow at all, and then there are special valves that you can put on your intake tube so when water gets in there it doesnt let the water pass through.

there are K&N prechargers and other stuff you can do to protect your car from getting water into the intake system. one is a precharger wrap the k&n makes that goes over your filter to stop most of that but doesnt reduce air flow at all, and then there are special valves that you can put on your intake tube so when water gets in there it doesnt let the water pass through.

Sounds like good stuff, any idea on costs, or where to get a whold of this jazz?

Sounds like good stuff, any idea on costs, or where to get a whold of this jazz?

If you're looking for a stock air box replacement it's about $45+ retail from AutoZone, etc.

You'll most likely need to look up a part number and order it in from a local warehouse.

Those K&N's are not usually stocked since there's not a high demand.

Otherwise, cones can range in size, opening diameter, and price.

Check with the material you're going to use and make measurements accordingly for your applications.

- Erik