Tire Size

hoodilio

ok, so right now my 1993 cutlass has 215/60/16 tires on its stock wheels. I know that some of the w-bodies have 225/60/16 and why didn;t mine come with it stock. Also if i get new tires that are 225/60/16 will it effect anything like spedometer or handling. Anyone got any input?

Guest TurboSedan
So will it be a bad idea to get the 225/60/16 tires, should i stick with the 215/60/16.

perfomance wise the 225/60's will be better than the 215/60's. i have 225/60's on my 16x8 GTP crosslace wheels right now, and my speedo is spot on. however, the engine ECM/chip is from a '90 Grand Prix 3.1/5-speed, and that '90 GP probably had, i dunno....215/70-15's?? that's only .8% too fast so no biggie. there is a really cool tire calculator here too:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

i'm going with 225/55-16's when i get new tires, which will lower the car about a 1/2" i think (good) and according to the tire calc; when my speedo reads 60mph, i'll actually be going about 58mph. so less worry about speeding tickets too :)

joshua