this is a new one on me please help

swift13

im leavin work and on my to weld class but when i go to start my car it just cranks over and wont start i try again and again and still nothing i then try pumping the gas and it fires right up until i let go of the gas it dies right away, immediately shuts off do it again same thing try to let it idle by itself.... and nothing, finally i decide to keep at at a low idle and put it into gear and drive to the gas station where there is a roof cuz it was raining so i 2 footed about a mile to the pump keeping the rpms at 1000 but then when i got to the station it sat and idled fine and didnt give me a problem the rest of the day.>>> 98 gtp<<<

what is new to me is that it didnt die out in a rough manner it just stopped the second i let off the gas no rough idle or engine ligh tor anything,

any ideas thanks in advance and sorry so long

alright now i got a direction to go in

ive seen fuel pumps going bad before but not like this, i will probably end up waiting till the car wont start at all so i know i will solve the problem with one fix as opposed to a few different parts cuz all day today it was fine as well no problems at all.