underhood mat

godofthunder

I am currious...how many people have removed this? And did you notcie any difference in sound or heat?

Or, is there a way to replace them (where can i get em?). theres no way to clean it....so i would want new.

Jon

noise reduction and it is possable that i could make the paint fade it is a heat and noise reduction device it is there for a reason and will never remove another one on any of my cars

i took it off and can now hear my engine roar louder :) as far as fading the paint i cant imagine it getting that hot as long as you dont just let it sit and idle all the time

You try that on a fucking NY/NJ driven car and you can kiss your purdy dark teal metallic goodbye. Also the mat is flame retardent in case of such an event. Plus your under-hood looks wicked ugly with primer showing

I was actually thinking that...its gotta be there for a reason.

Here, we have hot weather too in VA.

also, for example...i know it will help fade. My dad spraypainted his Regal (this is a custom proj now...its going to be painted by the end of the year...its an 87). Well, the engine bay fades every summer.

Thanks yall. But, is there a replacement for it? Like can i go up to GM and ask for a new one? Or just not worry about it

Jon

Of course it's there for a reason! This is GM we're talking about. If it could have been safely omitted, it would have been.

Yeah, you can get a new one from GM. Some companies (Dynamat maybe?) makes an aluminized version.

well hot weather here 110+ is what the car usually basks in when its not on. I will eventually replace it with the aluminum heat shielding but as far as it doing any damage ive had mine off for almost a year and no diff. but whatever. the underhood primer is quite the improvement over what the mat looked like

k mine out and didnt notice any difference in sound or heat, although i have a white car so it doesnt really attract the heat like a darker car will. i also took it out right befor i had the car painted so i had them paint it too - looks hella good - but im working on a fiberglass hood with a 1 inch cowl (for asthetics only) and functional ram air - until i have my boost setup going - i which case the ram air will also be for asthetics then too.

but not to hijack the thread, i didnt notice any problems with removing the sheild.

- Justin

110-degrees is hardly even half of the temperature the engine runs at.

no kidding!?! :roll: :roll:

My point is your cars must have some sort of cooling problem if your paint is fading cause of the heat the engine produces. The air cools the hood when your moving

Yeah, and while your car is sitting while parked, 230-degrees of engine heat is dissipating into your hood. Surely you've seen movies where someone touches a car hood to see if the car has been driven recently.

Don't forget that heat rises.

The shield also acts as a fire retardant.

The material is flame retardent but over time they gather oil,power steering fluid and grease then its like putting a cotton ball in lighter fluid.

It acts like a blanket holding heat under your hood.Ive seen older cars with carbs on them and have seen paint gone from the middle of the hood but it was caused from the cars back firing through the carburator with out a breather on them.I think it just boils down to what ever you want to do replace it or do like i did and paint under the hood to match the rest of the car. :D