question about speaker/sub wiring

GPdriver1986

If I decide to upgrade my stereo should I just use my factory speaker wires? If I have to wire my sub to my amp and to the rear speakers (I'll probably get a 2 channel amp) can I use speaker wire from my home surround system?

you can do just fine using the factory wires for the speakers. For fully amped systems (all speakers) i would upgrade to some thicker guage wire, you can buy it at radio shack or ACE hardware. as far as the sub an amps go use as thick of wire as you can = less resistance. now i dont mean use battery cables to hook up the sub just something a little beefier. about twice as thick as the speaker wire you use should be good enough. once again for the pos and neg amp supply wires if your using more than 250 watts you want wire that is at least 1/4 inch thick especially with several amps.

the signal wire i have running from my amp to my sub is thick as hell. id have to say 10ga each terminal, and i have it cut short as possible, its probably no longer than 1ft which im sure helps too