could this be an ecm problem?

toastemcutlass

so there is two things im thinking is causing the alternator not to put out, first i heard a bad ground and the second is the ecm, the reason i think this is because when the car is in a open loop mode for the first couple second(when the idle is still high) the alternator charges normally the when the idle kicks down and the airbag light stops flashing the alternator stops charging

Did you check voltage at the Alternator to see if its puttin out, or did you just check it at the battery?? The voltage regulator in the alternator backs the voltage down, when none is needed.

Robby

Well,

I read your other post. That is a werid problem you have.... I would first check the output at the alternater while its ON the car and running. I would suspect the crimp terminal that attaches the Alternator lead wire to the alternator post might be loose, cause a high resistance to the Alternator and shortn it out. Or the connection from the Alternator feed wire on the Battery post might be eaten up , loose or bad.

So nobody thinks its the ecm? the reason i think this is because when the alternator stops charging the car runs like crap (missing). and the check engine soon light comes on.

Oh ya, yesterday i hooked up the o2 sensor that had been unplugged for a week, if that helps.

I would think if it is the PCM/ECM that it would throw a code. SES light will come on and stay on... I don't remember the Code number , but it's something to do with the Voltage being too low.

the light does stay on, but it comes on when the alt stops charging, which makes me think that when the car starts up it starts in a open loop mode and then when it switchs every thing gos down hill. as for checking the obd, its a 94 and i cant read the codes at home. the obd connecter only has three pins in it.

The ECM has nothing to do with charging... you internal voltage regulator is not working properly, when the voltage reg stops charging it is causing all your other problems!!! Take it down and have it checked, shucks, NAPA, Pepboys... all do it for free. :cheers: :read: :cheers: :cheers:

Well, I would do this first.

Check the alternator wiring for grounds. There was one forum I've read before that the VSS wire was touching the alternator wiring and then causes the alternator to stop charging.

I would get a new replacement alternator don't use it immediately on your car.

Get that new alternator tested at another "autoparts store" to make sure it is working in the first place. Then you can put it in your car and see if it works and if it messed up again then bring it to the autoparts store where you got it in the first place to get it replaced and fix any wiring problem you have before putting the new alternator.

The reason why I suggest not to get the new alternator tested at the autoparts store where you got it because if they tested it fine before using it and then when you put it in your car then it stops charging and they tested it the second time and now it is not working then they might not keep on replacing your alternator and give you a hard time because it is your car wiring is causing the alternator to get messed up.

BTW, check to make sure you don't have any fluid leaking, ie power steering, water pump as those leaking fluid follow through around the serpentine belt (when car is running) and could end up in the alternator windings and short it out.