Funny post about W-bodies on the Motortrend forums

5speedz34

ya that whole rust thing is crap, I see many other cars, specificly chryslers that rust out a hell of a lot more than pretty much any W-body I see here in upstate NY, personally I think Ws hold up very well against rust as long as they are taken care of, very rarely do I see a rustbucket W

They must not salt so much down there as they do up here in buffalo then! I see rust bucket w-bodys all the time, but to be fair i see rust bucket everything here lol.

up here in the Adirondacks of New York, it's not just the salt its the tailings. Tailings is gray, and is more or less the same consistency of sandblast medium. it just tears the paint off the cars. Also, it gets inside the ABS sensors and makes them fail. Our end of New York sucks for cars.

All of NY sucks for cars....i will never again buy a car thats been in this state for more then a couple winters.

I think w's (first gen) are average or slightly better than average for rust. The reason I got rid of my 88 GP was because it was badly rusted on the bottem. I was getting afraid to go under the car, thought the jackstands were going to bust through the crunchy rust. The engine/trans were still good and I beat the living hell out of it!

But my 95 GP wasn't bad for rust, it only had a little above the rear bumper which wasn't bad for a 10+yr old car. That car had other issues though..

My Impala has zero rust, but I've owned it 2 years now and have got it oil-sprayed every year, as well as getting the bottem (inside) of the doors fixed once I noticed they were starting to bubble (like any GM car).

The Intrique was an alright car, IMO the Impala is still a little better followed by the Regal (for interior quality anyways). The 3rd gen W Impala is built very well.

The Impala is no where near better than the Intrigue or the Regal here's why:

That claim in fact defies all logic when applied to the GM hierarchy which (for those of you who do not know) is:

1. Cadillac

2. Buick

3. Oldsmobile

4. Pontiac

5. Chevy

The Impala:

The only w-body car offering the worst GM engine as far as reliability which is the 3.4 if you have to ask whats wrong with it you should be banned, but I will tell you anyway;

1. cam shaft snapping problems (yeah they're hollow and the swage forging is a bad idea)

2. LIM manifold failures

3. Head gasket failures

4. Pressurized Overflow reservoir is totally weak, as is the bleeder valve being not the highest point of the system.

5. Belt tensioner/idler pulley assembly failures

6. Water Pump Failures

7. The engine is made in Mexico

Beyond their horrible choice of BASE power train the Impala is the only W-body gen II running VATS through the BCM with a separate VATS module, there are more VATS issues with Impalas than any other GM w-body Gen II. the other cars the Buick the Pontiac and the Oldsmobile run VATS through the ECM which checks the BCM before engaging the Starter Enable relay and Fuel Pump Relay.

Also the Impala are the only w-body gen II that uses plastic (or nylon) window sashes which are much more prone to failure than the Intrigue and the Regal.

The Impala and the Grand Prix got power sliding sun roofs rather than fully open able moonroofs that the Regal and Intrigue got.

The headlights in the Impala and Grand prix are made by GM whereas the Intrigue and the Regal are made by Garello which are easier to remove (not requiring tools) and much less prone to checking and yellowing and condensation like the GM covers which aren't made of Lexan.

The Impalas exhaust is not stainless steel behind the resonator like the Intrigue and Regals are.

Alloy wheels were not standard on the Impala. Base cars OEM tires were Uniroyal not Goodyear.

Contrary to popular belief there is a difference in quality from Chevy to Oldsmobile and Buick.

The Intrigue:

Same steering column as a Corvette and Shelby Series one Does not have the butter knife Multi Function Switch.

PCS System owns all others.

Standard Console and Buckets.

Standard Alloy Wheels.

Standard Power Package with Magnasteer II.

Standard 16" alloy wheels.

Remote Fuel Door Release.

Monroe Sensatrac suspension system Exclusive to Intrigue.

No radio antenna .

Standard 6 speaker stereo.

Premium DOHC 3.5 liter Northstar engine offering most HP and Torque of all other N/A w-body engines. Which DOES NOT have dexcool passing through the intake manifold!

Much better quality leather seating surfaces than ANY other GM w-body.

I could go on further here but I feel its not necessary!

FTR, none of these claims are subjective, what pisses me off most about some people is they are quick to judge something they know nothing about.

Not only is the Impala not better than the Intrigue and Regal, I or anyone else could safely say that the Impala is the WORST W-body gen II car out there, which follows right along with the GM hierarchy and makes total sense.Remember folks, you get what you pay for.

wait... although I agree with what you say.... mostly....

impala > GP.

impala = aluminum subframe

GP = steel subframe

impala base engine = 3400

gp base engine = 3100

PWNAGE!

It's just the pecking order of GM. Chevy tends to be cheaper than the others in most cases.

It's nuts how much nicer to drive the '99 GP GT is than any first gen W I've owned... seriously. It's just so much more sure-footed and much torquier. I know the engine ain't that fast but it conveys "excitement" much more than any GP I previously owned.

the sub frames weren't aluminum until gen III, AFAIK !

only on second gen impala and MCs, i believe. and I am told they can interchange with GPs, at least..... unless you have a U-van with versa-track all-wheel drive...

It's just the pecking order of GM. Chevy tends to be cheaper than the others in most cases.

It's nuts how much nicer to drive the '99 GP GT is than any first gen W I've owned... seriously. It's just so much more sure-footed and much torquier. I know the engine ain't that fast but it conveys "excitement" much more than any GP I previously owned.

be glad you don't have a 3100 GP. You'd already have sold it.

be glad you don't have a 3100 GP. You'd already have sold it.

I would never buy a 2nd gen with a 3100. It feels slightly anemic in a 1st gen. I'm still at a loss as to why they didn't just put the 3400 in base GP's to begin with.

I am still at loss as to why ANY II gen car has a 60 degree v-6 of ANY kind !! Think about it... is the L36 any more expensive than the 3.1 or 3.4 ? I doubt it, considering how long that boat anchor has been made its probably cheaper to produce anyway.

IRONDOG, I agree and disagree. Your facts are for the most part correct (my car has heated seats both driver and passenger.. so you need to correct that)

What I SAID was I thought that the Interior was better quality. From what I have seen nothing really falls apart in Impala interiors. They are solidly built. The Intrique is very close, but I think the center armrest is a bit cheaper (I haven't seen alot of them so this is very subjective). The Regal.. I wonder what the percentage of cupholders that are still intact? They seem to be about as good as Grand Prix's inside.

When you compare BASE models that really mixes things up. An Intrique or a GP GT is definatly a better car then a base Impala with the 3400. No arguing there!

Impalas are still FAR better cars then 2nd gen W GPs. They rust out faster, the headlights turn yellow crazy fast, the interiors are Ponti-crap. This is just from my experience detailing used cars.

It is true, The worse second gen W is the GPSE with the 3100... The car couldnt get out of its own way... Which is why I sold it

Headlights fog up really easily, The anteater nose just looks dumb...

DSC02429.jpg

And the 3100 in the second gen is alot crappier than in the first gen cars... My friends 96 GP 3100 gets great mileage, is quiet, and has decent pick up... This car got 11 mpgs on average and revved up to 4k just to pick up speed...

DSC03136.jpg

I have to agree with Rob on this guys. Having worked on numerous vehicles of each one mentioned, the Intrigue is the much better build vehicle. It just is.

But Rob, the Impala and Monte Carlo could both get the 17" wheels optional, and yes, im talking Gen2... Both the Monte and Impala SS (standard on Impala SS, Optional on Monte SS) and the Impala LS WITH the Sport Package could get them optionally.