Leaving engine running, Save gas??

jjs316

Ive heard for quite sometime now that for short periods or time it saves you gas just to leave your car running then opposed to turning it on and off...is this true? Does anyone know? Does it really take that much gas to start your car?? Thanks

Well I took Young Drivers and they told us that if you are going to be sitting for less than 30 secs then leave it running, but if you are going to be longer than that, turn it off. I don't know if this is true but I'd think it would be. However if you have a diesel I think it's the opposite...

it takes approx. 2x times more gas to start, and idle down than it does @ idle for 2 min, provided that the motor is @ operating temp and running properly...

and a diesle is even more extreem, ut can idle all night and only use .25 of a gallon, and on start up/ warm up they use neerly a gallon (big riggs, not the light duity diesel trucks)

later

joe

anyone have some specific information. being that i deliver pizza, i really want to know when i should turn my car off and when to just leave it idle. turning it off too soon too many times or leaving it idle too long is bad news and i try my best to avoid it. i cant win cuz eveytime i stop the time itll take me to get back to my car is unpredictable. i either waste gas and kill my starter by starting it to much, or i make my car run slow as hell for the next few hours because its running so damn hot