painting plastic

swift13

ok fix if this is in the wrong topic please

what is the best way to paint plastic pieces??? i.e like switch bezels and buttons and junk.

i know you cant just take a can and spray over, is there a better way to prep a piece?

is there anything that needs to be done to the plastic first like roughing the surface or anything??

and yes interior pieces or engine pieces that so apply.

is there anything that needs to be done to the plastic first like roughing the surface or anything??

and yes interior pieces or engine pieces that so apply.

A good cleaning and use some cleaner designed to prep for paint. Paint for plastics has a strong adhesion promoter and dosnt require roughing up the surface..

When I swapped a GP dash in my CS, the cluster and radio trim panels I had to sand down but used a 220 grit and got it smooth (the GP pieces had a rubber like coating I had to remove) and cleaned it off with water first and then some Prep-All I got from AutoZone. I painted them with some DupliColor Textured Graphite Metallic Paint with excellent results..

cool thanks for the info i will have to go scout some paint now.

May be a little late now, but SEM has a plastic/leather prep and adhesion promoter. Not sure if they're one in the same, or 2 different products. And of course, they have a multitude of interior colors. Best place to find it and advise on using it for the best results is an automotive paint supply house.

I still think you should at least try painting the interior stuff. If you don't like it you can still replace it. At least the entire interior will be black while you wait to find good replacements :dunno:

Tom

im gonna see if i cant get the other parts i need for the vert just reupholstered but this whole paint thread is for my gtp color scheme im tryin to come up with

all i need for the vert now is the rear quarters and a-pillars and i think both can be redone.

I think some regular bodyshop solvent (prep-all or whatever brand) to clean it, and then a good spray paint like Krylon for plastics and you should be good to go.

Depending what you are painting if it's a flat surface (non porous) you may want to spray cleancoat on top to give it some added depth to the paint.

Clean the surfaces well and use semi-gloss or flat black to give it that satin look. Nothing worse then a obvious spray job that is glossier then 10 coats of armor all.

DO NOT PAINT, DIE IT ITS SO MUCH BETTER paint fades and chips over time it took me 4 days to get all the chippping paint off all the parts in my car from the previous owner and then i died it, im loving it. also if your carpet is faded you can goto walmart and get a 97cent can of flat black and paint your carpet, thats right...spray paint it. the carpet absorbs the paint so it looks like a brand new carpet just be sure to take the carpet out before you do it and keep it out for atleast 2 days so the smell goes away

you but automotive die, when you die something the die get absorbes into the plastic (like when you stain wood) when you paint something it just coats the plastic (paint peels and chips and scratches easly)

The paint won't chip/fade if you do it right. I'm with the others who have said the Krylon/Rustoleum brands that make plastic spray paint. I used it on my old engine cover, doing no prep other than cleaning it with soap and water. I did it 2 summers ago and it's still holding real well. Has not chipped or anything. Here's a pic. And for what it's worth, I did not use clear coat!

HPIM1177.jpg

HPIM1174.jpg

And the red paint is just Testors model paint, which turned out horribly up close. You can kind of see it in those pics. The plastic paint worked great though!!!!