Tool info needed

spiderw31

Ok, to last week I went to install the t-belt on my car, and managed to goof it up, requiring a new belt. Unfortunately, I had already managed to fully reinstall both cam sprockets on the rear bank, and now I'm gonna have to pull the sprocket back off the intake cam so that I can properly get the car timed.

Originally, I had purchased this tool: http://www.etoolcart.com/sprocketremoverj-38616.aspx to pull the sprockets. I don't have the tool that is supposed to fit in the holes of the puller to keep it from rotating while pulling the sprocket, but I managed to rig up a contraption using vice grips and ratchet drive extensions. I managed to get that to work but only because the cam carriers were removed from the car at the time. With them installed, there is no way to get my rig to fit.

I ordered the Gates sprocket tool (#91008 i believe) thinking that was what I really needed. I just arrived today, and I find that the posts are too large in diameter to fit in the holes of the sprocket puller. Does anyone know the proper tool I need and where I can find it?

I have the proper tool to do the job, and I still don't know how it is supposed to be used. What I have done is just put the cam hold down tool on and then break the cam sprocket bolt loose with that holding it in place. may not be the best idea, but I did it with no ill effects.

I've got that too as well, and it actually worked fine for me. I've gotten the bolt out with no issues, but now I need to actually pull the sprocket off to get the lock ring back out again.

I didn't use anything more then the first puller tool you posted. you just put it through the holes in the cogs then rotate it to "lock" it into the back of the cog so the puller can do its thing.

also to do a timing job, you don't have to pull the rear cog, but the other 3 gotta come out.

Yeah I know I don't have to pull the rear exhaust sprocket, I'm pulling the rear intake sprocket though. I did use the puller to remove all the sprockets once already, and with the amount of torque I had to put into it, I'd be worried about ripping the hold down tools right out of the carrier if I tried it again. Not to mention that on the rear bank, the hold down tools are on the far end of the cams.

If you say it'll work though, I'll take your word for it... you certainly do have just a bit more experience with timing jobs :high5: :cool:

I was scared of the same thing, and I defiantly know what you are talking about with the hold down being on the far end of the cam. I initially screwed the timing job up and had to do it all over again and never broke anything. just be sure not to over tighten the hold down tool, that will rip the threads right out of the cam carrier.

I made my best effort to use the cog tool to keep everything in place while I tried to break the cog bolt loose and all I managed to do was cut my hand open.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a buddy of mine has a bench grinder, and since I already had the gates tool on hand and really nothing to lose, I figured I'd try to grind it down to make it fit. It worked great, and I was able to pull the sprocket very easily in about 2 minutes.