Grand Prix Front End Noise - Groaning

runt

Had the new lower control arm bushings put in the car and got it aligned. Feels a bit tighter. But, I still have some noise in the front end that I CAN NOT find.

When I put the car in gear, I hear a "creaking/almost groan" noise. Sounds like a joint, or a bushing of some sort. I don't hear it if the car is in park or neutral. Not sure about reverse. I know that when I put it in drive and begin to accelerate I can hear it. I pretty much goes away once I'm moving (or I just can't hear it). If I stop and go again, I can still hear it. Aside from the bushing being bad (which I kind of had an idea about, and thought that maybe that was the noise). But EVERYTHING else in the front is tight. Last time I was under the car the mounts looked good, but I should double check that.

Now, I think it's coming from the left side. Could it be a strut? I should be under the car soon to get the fuel filter, when I do the fuel pump (to fix my gas gauge). Any help?!

If it's from park to reverse I'm almost thinking dog bone mounts.

How are your sway bar/ sway bar mounts? They are common to break and go bad on the second gens.

I think it was easier than that. I decided to push on the car tonight while in the driveway (on a small hill) so that way it would rock easier. Found it was coming from up high in the front end. Popped the hood, and rocked it from the front. Found it near the bulkhead (where the radiator is bolted). The ONLY thing there that I can see that would take any type of pressure from rocking is the diagonal brace. So I grabbed my 1/2" socket and unbolted the two lower bolts. Magically, it goes away!! With every bit of rocking I can give it. So I bolt it back in...it comes back. I think that the left side has a slight bend in it, so it's not getting as tight as it should. I might pick up another pair and see what happens, but after I tightened the HELL out of them, it seems like it's nearly gone.

I officially win the biggest dumbass of the quarter award. This sound has been haunting me for months.

:lol: :lol:

Hey it's not that big of a deal. It's really not being that stupid. I wonder if the bar was bent from when you hit the deer?

Well...the bar is on the left. I hit the deer with the right side of the car. It doesn't mean that it still couldn't have done damage. I will probably try to source some new braces to see if that fixes the problem, or at least compare so I am sure that it isn't bent.

I have a similar noise when I back up only. Almost sounds like I'm scraping the front. I figured I might have something to do with my car pulling left. Im going to take it in soon.