Need your opinion(s)

Bryan921SS

I am doing a tune up on my gf's 96 cutty.

I did the front 3 plugs already, but need to do the back 3.

So what do you guys find easier/more beneficial to do...

1) Rotate engine forward.

2) Remove Alt etc to get at spark plugs blindly.

Never done this before so thanks in advance for your opinion(s)

....Also does rotating your engine hurt anything?? do I need to drain fluids etc???

I just did my plugs and wires in my 96 3100 last Friday. I was skeptical just like you about tilting the engine forward. All I did was remove the dog bone mounts and the air filter hose and box (don't know if this is necisarry but I did it anyway) and titled it forward. Everything still works fine :lol:. I would just tilt it forward. I think it would be much more difficult to remove the alt. and try to work from that way. It was interesting enough to do the rear plugs when the it is titled forward.

I usually remove the coil pack/bracket as one assembly and set it aside. Tilting forward is easier with the 3.1 MPFI (upper mount has a slave hole to keep it in place, the 3100 doesn't and you'll need some kind of ratchet strap to keep it forward).

Ok great, So basically I just need to take the dog bones out, keep a bolt handy and once i pull the engine forward have my g/f slide the bolt through the upper engine motor mount, and the dog bone mount....

Sounds very easy, just didn't want to hurt anything.....thanks everyone!!! Wish I had found this site year ago when I owned this car...

I usually remove the coil pack/bracket as one assembly and set it aside. Tilting forward is easier with the 3.1 MPFI (upper mount has a slave hole to keep it in place, the 3100 doesn't and you'll need some kind of ratchet strap to keep it forward).

I used the hole that I drew the arrow to in this pic to keep the engine tilted forward:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3110/15071674.png

I used the hole that I drew the arrow to in this pic to keep the engine tilted forward:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3110/15071674.png

I've done that once or twice, but I also used a HUGE washer to avoid the mount bolt & nut from slipping thru that hole (it's a lift point, to be exact)

Ok great, So basically I just need to take the dog bones out, keep a bolt handy and once i pull the engine forward have my g/f slide the bolt through the upper engine motor mount, and the dog bone mount....

Sounds very easy, just didn't want to hurt anything.....thanks everyone!!! Wish I had found this site year ago when I owned this car...

Being the car is a '96 you won't have those style mounts. That's what I mentioned earlier.

If you have an inclined driveway, the absolute easiest way I've found to rotate the engine is to point the front of the car downhill. Gravity does all the work for you.

If you have an inclined driveway, the absolute easiest way I've found to rotate the engine is to point the front of the car downhill. Gravity does all the work for you.

x2 thats what I did on mine.

There is a little bit of an incline, but I got yelled at by my apartment complex for working on my car...in the lease it says you are not allowed to change fluids ect. So I will have to watch out for my neighbors this weekend when I get around to doing it...

I think I will end up going to ratchet strap route...just need to get 3 plugs, and the strap...

Oh and by the way, the front plugs were gaped as follows: 2 were 0.078 and on was 0.082...so the plugs were a bit old..and they were champion...