went to the junkyard...UPDATE!!!

89SupremeCutty

wow thats a lotta shit

very impressive IMO

Thanks! It's a lot of work, but I love it. People will find that Taylor and I are a lot alike in that sense...We tend to add options and such that didn't come on our cars or weren't even available but we'll integrate them.

wow thats a lotta shit

very impressive IMO

Thanks! It's a lot of work, but I love it. People will find that Taylor and I are a lot alike in that sense...We tend to add options and such that didn't come on our cars or weren't even available but we'll integrate them.

Haha.. the reactions from that stuff are great. People who get in are like "I didn't know these cars came with that"

thus making them feel worse about there newer, lamer car with not as many features...lol

Cool list. There are some features in there I didn't even know existed. Johnny Cash and his "one piece at a time" Cadillac would be proud. lol

So I was mistaken that these overhead units only come in the Olds minivans...they were available in all of them huh? I'm assuming the units out of the Astro/Safari M-vans also have the rear mounted reading/map lights, yeah?

I found a pic on ebay of a newer Jimmy for sale with a sunroof, and it has only the digital readouts and some map lights in a little pod. The full-length overhead unit would make the Pontiac feel like a commercial jet with all those goodies up there for the back seat too.

edit: i uploaded the pic of this little thing. I'd really like to track one on of these down for the sake of the outside temp readout. A great feature IMO, even if it did give me a redundant compass...

overheadconsole2.jpg

That one also has Homelink and for one with a sunroof. Some hard top trucks came with the short ones too.

My 1995 Silhouette has a full length OHC with compass/temp.

This is what my truck is getting. :D

fabf_1.JPG

It will take a little fabbing to install, but it really shouldn't be all that bad.

I am really debating installing one from a van with DVD and all that. :mrgreen:

i think about instaliing shit like that all the time but i think im just too lazy it took me long enough to change my back seat so it could have a fold down passage to the trunk and its cuz of lack of know its just honest to god laziness

i even had a dic out of a 03 dakota from the j/y that i was gonna give to my brother since i sold mine and said eh screw it.

i wonder if i could put an overhead console in the cutlass?? ha! ha! ha!

I have the large overhead console in my truck. It's alright but kinda cheap quality.

I know the Bravada's (and some other S-Series) thats a DIC. It has fuel economy stuff, etc on it.

Scott, why not just get a dimming mirror with the compass and temperature readout that the fullsize trucks got?

So that overhead piece has an outside temp readout?

yep.

Other than the rear map lights, that console appears to be nearly the same part they use for the overheads in the Olds Silhouette minivan. Does it have two buttons adjacent the digital display On/Off and Eng/Met?

yes it does. that console is used in the blazers/bravadas/jimmys/astros/safaris and probly the ventures/montanas too if they were ever equipped.

It will take a little fabbing to install, but it really shouldn't be all that bad.

I am really debating installing one from a van with DVD and all that. :mrgreen:

it won't be too bad to install. in the lumina between the visors theres extra padding there as if the headliner is trying to be level with the sun visors. as for the rear of the console i'll fab something up to stick to the roof sop i can screw in the console.

i do plan on getting a partial headliner from an s-truck with the overhead console and another lumina headliner so i can cut the holes out and butcher up a different headliner before cutting mine up.

I have the large overhead console in my truck. It's alright but kinda cheap quality.

I know the Bravada's (and some other S-Series) thats a DIC. It has fuel economy stuff, etc on it.

Scott, why not just get a dimming mirror with the compass and temperature readout that the fullsize trucks got?

they got the trip odometer/fuel stuff after '98. before that it was just a temp/compass. im looking for one from a '98+ for the fuel stuff cause it dosn't use a bcm like the dic from the gtp. the wire that gets the info for all that goes into the class 2 serial port that also goes into the obd connector which also runs to the pcm.

there isn't much of a wire difference from this one (6 wires) to the one with the fuel stuff in it. (9 wires)

I had considered that, but for junkyard prices these overhead consoles sound kinda fun, and it would keep with the Pontiac's overall theme of a tacky 80's spaceship.