Is coupe door handle adjustment possible?

5speedz34

My drivers side door doesn't release until almost the end of travel. Sometimes it will move but won't release, and when it is really cold it won't open from the inside or outside. I found out that I have to put my weight on the door since it seems to be "hanging" up on where the latch and the part that sticks out the door meet.

Do coupe doors sag? I know on older GM's they do and I know the doors are heavy as hell on our cars. On my car there is a decent rust hole near the hinge, could the metal be fatiguing? I pulled up on the bottom of the door last week and it seemed to help. I've heard this is the only way to adjust doors with welded hinges.

I'm going to mess with that spot that the latch meets with a Torx bit. Is there any adjustment there? Is there anything within the door or the handle that I can "lubricate?" What about the rods? I know the "nuts" or whatever you call them have adjustment for up and down but I have never messed with them. My passenger side door noticeably "sags" when I open the door, but when I move it from the bottom there is no play and it that side releases rather quickly.

Thanks guys.

Pretty much yes to all your ?'s. Lube the rods. Adjust the little nut on the end of the linkage. The striker (the bolt like thing sticking out of the B-pillar) can be adjusted a bit. The hinges can be bent by sticking something (metal/ rigid) inside the bottom hinge and trying to push the door close. (Binding the hinge) This will effectively lift the door up. Others will chime in

You can adjust the rods. Pull the plastic panel and pop the little "knob" that is screwed onto the end of the rod out of the doorhandle and turn the knob down to your liking. When you're done, pop it back in and your doorhandles should pop the doors open when you barely pull the handle.

Pretty much yes to all your ?'s. Lube the rods. Adjust the little nut on the end of the linkage. The striker (the bolt like thing sticking out of the B-pillar) can be adjusted a bit. The hinges can be bent by sticking something (metal/ rigid) inside the bottom hinge and trying to push the door close. (Binding the hinge) This will effectively lift the door up. Others will chime in

How do I go about "lubing" the rods? Are you talking about the ones at the handle or inside the door? IIRC-They are mostly covered up by boots.

So you're saying I should stick a piece of wood between the bottom of the a-pillar and the door itself and try to close it right? Pushing it out?

I really should've known that was the striker, but I thought the striker was the switch that shuts the dome lights off/on when you open/close the door.

You can adjust the rods. Pull the plastic panel and pop the little "knob" that is screwed onto the end of the rod out of the doorhandle and turn the knob down to your liking. When you're done, pop it back in and your doorhandles should pop the doors open when you barely pull the handle.

Do I turn both knobs down? There are two correct?

I feel like such a noob now. I really don't mess with cars anymore and I definitely feel like I've lost my touch. :redface:

So how do these door handles actually break? I've never actually have one physically break, usually I get a "pop" within the rod assembly and then the door won't open.

Stick a WD-40/ PB or equivalent straw into the latch in the door and hose that down for a bit, trying to hit all the moving parts as best you can. Also, like mentioned, when you pop the plastic cover off, hit any moving parts/ hinge parts with some 'ol lube.

If the door is really sagging, and its the welded type (my luminas have bolted hinges that are somewhat adjustable), yes, binding the bottom hinge and giving a good push, a little bit at a time, gradually will bring it up to a satisfactory alignment.

These all sound like good answers. I have noticed the hot/cold issue as well. I just had to replace the driver's side door handle on my 92 Regal. I'm glad someone was able to answer this, since I have also had that issue with the passenger's door, but don't use it all that much.