What's an unknown TSTE worth?

supreme_style21

As I'm sure lots of you have seen before, a neighbor of mine has a maroon TSTE sitting in his yard. It's been sitting there for years. When I was in highschool, he had the car for sale. At that time, it had around 85k on it. That would have been 1997? At that time, the car had "electrical issues".. and since retired to the back yard of the owner. It's randomly moved around the yard since then, but I don't think it's ever been regularly been driven since. So, based off assumption, this guy has a maroon/gray 80k-some mile TSTE sitting in his yard. What's this thing worth? I never was able to come up with the cash to make an offer before, but since I'm closing on my house in a few weeks, I'm again tempted to stop by and make an offer.

DO IT! It really depends on if it runs and drives, what kind of issues it has, and what kind of shape it is in interior and exteriorwise. If its clean and just needs some minor attention, I would go $2k tops.... otherwise offer him a few hundred cash and see if they take it.

DO IT! It really depends on if it runs and drives, what kind of issues it has, and what kind of shape it is in interior and exteriorwise. If its clean and just needs some minor attention, I would go $2k tops.... otherwise offer him a few hundred cash and see if they take it.

Christ, that's a lot higher than I was thinking.

When I last looked at it, the body and interior were pretty damn clean. My mind at 15 years old might have been clouded, but the thing looked brand new at that time. It never sold and just moved around the yard since then. I took some drive-by pictures last year, I can't find them now. I saw the hood propped up with a charger under it a few months ago, but the car never moved. I kinda wasn't willing to go more than 5 or 6 hundred bucks on it. Even though it's a TSTE, it's still an 20 year old worthless GM sedan. The only value it has is to TSTE enthusiasts, which is next-to-none. And I'm not really one. I just have a low-mileage fetish. Maybe once I got into it, I might convert.

It's probably damn rusty underneath from sitting in grass for so long!

x2 And I bet he would let you have it for next to nothing... If its just sitting in his yard taking up space, then I bet he would be glad to get some money for it and sell it to someone who will fix it up...

Like I said, 2k only if it was nice. If it has been sitting for that long, it is probably trashed. That is how I got my blue 91 for $200, the guy just wanted it out of his yard.

Visually, I'd say its nice, it's not trashed, that's for sure. But it's been sitting.

The guy has a Rivera parked in the yard, an early 90s blazer, early 80s blazer. I dunno if he thinks the things are worth something or not. About 4 years ago, I left a message on his machine asking him to call me if he wanted to sell, told him to name his price.. never got a call. Didn't have cash to show up at his doorstep with though. Well I know what I want to pay, so I'll maybe swing by in the next few weeks and see what the guy wants to do.

Ask what's wrong with it and then make an offer after looking it over. It likely has something major wrong with it if it's been sitting that long. Probably PMIII or transaxle related...

It's probably damn rusty underneath from sitting in grass for so long!

X2

Any car thats been sitting for a long time, especially on grass, is going to have quite alot of problems. Id offer no more then $500.

Take a close look underneath the car, brake lines / fuel lines and the fuel tank take a beating sitting on grass that long.

That actually looks pretty nice.. get it man!

yeah it looks clean. I remember when I looked at it years ago, it was pretty spotless. And pretty fully loaded.

I close on my house in a few weeks.. we'll see how much spare cash I end up with. Well none of it is "spare", I could pay off some bills, but what is the fun in that, right?

yeah it looks clean. I remember when I looked at it years ago, it was pretty spotless. And pretty fully loaded.

I close on my house in a few weeks.. we'll see how much spare cash I end up with. Well none of it is "spare", I could pay off some bills, but what is the fun in that, right?

Right lol aslong as its not hurting you to make they payment on the bills

Right lol aslong as its not hurting you to make they payment on the bills

The important bills will get paid off. The rest should be saved. But I don't like to save. My savings account has like 3 dollars in it. I invest in junkyard automobiles. I was promised by my financial manager that scrap metal prices are gonna skyrocket by retirement.

i saw one of those last summer in my local yard, couldnt figure out why the car was junked. It had the funny looking racing seats and the console lid was loaded with fancy buttons lol. I believe it was tan leather

i saw one of those last summer in my local yard, couldnt figure out why the car was junked. It had the funny looking racing seats and the console lid was loaded with fancy buttons lol. I believe it was tan leather

It was probably there for usual turbo issues. PMIII, radiator leak, crossover pipe etc. Most people arent willing to fork over the cash to fix or replace the rare and expensive parts on these cars. Im not sure if that makes people like myself that ARE willing to spend the money incredibly smart or incredibly stupid lol.

Well if I don't go for it, I can pass along information to anyone local that may want to pick it up. I don't want a bunch of stupid phone calls going to these people. If anyone is VERY seriously interested, hit me up. I think I'd rather fund a kitchen remodel than I want another car sitting in the driveway right now. The neighbors already think I own a junkyard.

Well if I don't go for it, I can pass along information to anyone local that may want to pick it up. I don't want a bunch of stupid phone calls going to these people. If anyone is VERY seriously interested, hit me up. I think I'd rather fund a kitchen remodel than I want another car sitting in the driveway right now. The neighbors already think I own a junkyard.

lol sounds familiar :mrgreen: