1994 Regal GS front doors won't open from outside

cubsfan24

My brother has a 94 Buick Regal GS 4dr and both front doors decided to not open from the outside at the same time. The key unlocks the locks but the door will not open from the outside. Had to stick a piece of wood between the doors and stuck a metal rod inside and unlocked the power locks. So now he can get into the back and open the front doors from the inside. I think it is funny but he wants me to 'fix it' :lol:. I don't know if it is easy to 'fix' or if he should just buy a keyless entry remote on ebay (since the car has the receiver in the trunk but we don't have any remotes) so he can actually lock/unlock the car. Is something messed up inside the door or could it be a electronic problem somehow?

It's not too hard once you get the door panel off, but if you're doing it in the cold weather be careful with the plastic "anchors" when you remove it. You'll want to adjust the rods so that there is as little "play" as possible, so that the mechanism works correctly. I can try and dig up an old post I created when I had to adjust the rods in my passenger door if you need further guidance. G/L.

btw, do you live on the north side by chance? There are many of us in the Chicagoland area, and we get together for meets pretty often.

Thanks for the replies guys. I live about a half hour northwest of Indianapolis. About 3 hours or so away from Chicago. I don't know if I want to tackle opening up the door panels since it isn't my car and have low motivation to fix the issue. Especially if it is hard to get the door panels off. Might just take it to a local backyard ex-mechanic that only charges $20-30 per hour and have him look at it. Any instructions to take the door panel off?

Ok, I got the door panel off. I can see where the rod is connected to the outside handle connects to this ball nut inside the door. I cannot seem to figure out how to adjust this. There is hardly any room inside the door. How do I adjust this rod to make the handle pull the rod more?

I bent the rod on the passenger side door and now it opens from the inside and outside. I started to do the drivers side door and realized that the rod had already been bent before. I saw scratch marks on the rod and the thick plastic barrier had been cut in that area. I bent it a little at a time and finally got it to open from the outside. I went to bend it "one last time" just to hopefully make it last a little longer and the rod disconnected from the thing it connects to inside the door. The ball nut attached to the rod sticks into a hole but will disconnect itself after a few handle pulls. I think I broke something that locked this into place. I have no idea if this makes any sense but I can hardly see inside the door to begin with so it is hard to say what is happening. Anyone got any ideas?