00 GP drivers wiper motor

carpesignum

so it was icy the other day and i tried to use my wipers and broke something. now the drivers wiper only moved about 8"

so far i have tried to take the plastic shield under the wipers but couldent get the arms off, checked under the wheel well,

WTF! i just went out and checked the firewall and for some reason decided to test it...

i think when i tightened the bolt that is on top of the arm it snuged it back down, there may be a clutch in the wiper...

now i have to go put my gauge cluster and HUD back in...

so anyways, lesson learned, if you try to use your wipers when something is impeding it and they get messed up, tighten the nut down and try them before you start digging in to everything...

does the arm move freely now? If so, it's likely the arm is "stripped" off the splined shaft. All you need to do it remove the arm (undo bolt, tap on shaft with rubber mallet while pulling arm up), clean off all the metal shavings on the shaft splines, and reinstall the arm (make the nut snug). I don't think GM made the arm retaining bolts tight enough on the 2nd gen cars.

i had taken the nuts off trying to get the wipers off...

when i put it back on and tightened it down i felt it slide about 1/8". a few mins later i tried it and it worked fine.

if i did strip something out when it tightened up enough is engaged to move the wipers.

good enough to get by