Air/Fuel gauges

hoodilio

Has anyone ever put an air/fuel gauge in their w-body, i saw some online while i was just lookin around, and i thought they look pretty neet, and might actually be useful in telling when the car is running lean or rich. Anyone got anything to say about them?

I have one in my cutlass.There pretty cool to watch at night as far as being practical or accurate i dont think they are. When i put mine in I freaked because of it running towards the lean side to much i thought so I ran a computer check on mine and every thing was allright. If you get one dont freak out when it goes lean ideal and rich back and forth because its your computer changing fuel/air mixture that best suits the engine at that second.

So when our engines go lean or rich, they never really stay that way for more then a few seconds? Or is it possible for them to stay like that and if so is it bad and how does one fix it.

Most wbody cars that ive seen run rich had a bad o2 sensor which isnt that expensive to replace.If they are running lean it could be several different things. If your going to put a air/fuel mixture gauge in go ahead and replace your O2 sensor while your at it.

Yup, I was running very rich, and replaced my O2, problem solved. The motor should run rich during startup, then, when warmed up to normal temps, it should fluctuate b/n lean and ideal.

Robby

Robby, when it was rich at startup how did it act?, was their hesitation?

No, no hesitation, just with no cat, I can hear the unburnt gas exploding in the pipes. I personally never had any hesitation out of the ordinary. Mine always hesitates just a hair when its cold, it always has. So, just lettin it sit and warm up a little fixes it. The ECM is supposed to make it run a little rich during cold engine temps.

Robby