Remote starter issues, again.

supreme_style21

In my 02 GP, it came with an "Autostart" brand remote starter. It's a pretty vague owners manual. It says it's a 2 way FM remote starter. One remote is just a one-way 'extra' remote and the other is a 2-way LED remote. When I got it, the one-way remote worked and started the car just fine. I don't know if I pushed the wrong buttons at some point or what, but now when I try start it with the only working remote, the one-way, generally the car will start, run for 2 seconds, then shut off, and re-try a few more times. There isn't any good trouble-codes that I can see.

I put new batteries in the the 2-way remote and the car doesn't seem to respond to it. So all I have is the one-way remote. I don't know if I need to re-program it to the unit or what.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix it, or what I did to break it :confused: Anyone familiar with this brand? It had awesome range when it worked, and I'd like to use it when it's 20 below. According to their website, the closest 'dealer' is a few hundred miles away.

Here's the owners manual. Model # AS-2300iTW-FM

http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/OG/Autostart/2W-LED-AUTO-i_ug_us_h430s100v100_070305.pdf

Do the LED lights on the 2-way light up? It mostly likely just needs to be reprogrammed to the remote starter.

As for your other problem. Sound like it could be one of two things.

#1 Needs a tach wire ran or the tach may need to be reprogrammed.

#2 Does the security light come when the car starts and shuts off? Those GPs have the "PK3" keys which sometimes dont interface real well with some bypass modules.

Have you had the car battery disconnected or has it gone dead recently?

The 2 way lights up, but the car does not respond to it in any way. It blinks about 25 times and then goes quiet. I figured I have to reprogram it to the brain.

I'll try re-program the tach. It says it needs the hood pin to enter programming mode, but don't remember seeing a hood pin installed :\

The security light, hmm. Before or after remote start, it comes on in its normal cycle. The last time it DID start remotely, the security light was ON while running.

Battery dead, nope.

Is there a bypass module that does interface well? If it ends up being a periodic problem, I just won't use it. When it remotely starts and kills right away, the retained power stays on and a/c blows on high and the radio keeps blaring. When it's 20 below here, I think that'd run a frozen battery down kinda quick? Plus it just sounds stupid sitting in the driveway or parking lot with everything running while the car is off HA.

The remote just needs to be programmed to the brain then. August will have to post the procedure, as it's been too long since I've done any installation to remember.

And, you shouldn't need the hood pin to enter programming mode. In fact, you definately don't need it to program tach. IIRC, hold in the program button, start the car with the key, let it run for a second or two, and let go of the program button. Again, it's been a while since I was an installer, but I'm pretty sure that was the procedure.

Security light staying on tells me that something is up with the bypass module.

The manual says something about having to 'flash the hoodpin' to get it to enter into programming mode. This thing seems so ass-backwards to me. The instructions for reprogramming the remote is in there too, just seemed too complicated for me to get to lately.

I never saw the security light on before, but I did get it to start tonight, once, and the light stayed on.

Blah, I might just have to wait until summer and dig around under the dash to see if I can find out more. I may have to replace the bypass module?

Just for fun, try putting the key in the ignition (without turning it on) and try start the car with the remote. It is likely that there is an issue with the security bypass. I know there was an issue with the bypass on my car when i first had the remote installed, and it would only start with the remote if the key was in the ignition. If i were to remove the key after it was started, than the security light would come on.

Just a thought, but it could help you track down the issue.