Dead battery - battery & alt good

DavidHowell3633

Other than cleaning the + and - cable connections- any ideas? Seems to be parasitic. How do you test for a parasitic load? Are there common ills for a 95 CS 4-door? Thanks.

Testing for parasitic loss: Unhook Positive battery cable, put a Ampmeter in series from the battery to the cable, then, start unplugging fuses, one at a time, until you find the one that makes the amp draw drop to under .100 Amps. Be careful of opening the door, because when the dome light/ mirror lights come on, they may blow the fuse in your meter. Also, be aware of any underhood or trunk light, as they will each pull about 3 amps.

I appreciate the advice. I suspect the previous owner may have dumped it because of this (plus the LIM gaskets, of course). Thanks everyone. David

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled the battery cables completely out of the car. I tested the resistance and swapped the positive (didn't really need to) to another one I had. I cleaned all the cable ends. I pulled the wires off the starter and cleaned them good. I pulled the grounds off the block and cleaned all contact points I could find. Even the ground up by the air snorkle. Along the way, I found a lot of flakey corrosion come off the aux terminal nut. Cleaned that up. Now, all is good. As a bonus, the turn signals on the driver side blink quickly like their mates on the other side. It's my son's 95 CS with 3100 and he says it seems to have a bit more power.

By the way, finding a DVOM that registers down to 2mA wasn't easy but I did find one at Amazon that comes out of China for $20. If he'll just let the tires cool for a short while I will test the drain.