What Can Go Wrong with a Keyless Entry Remote?

oldscsc

Battery. Broken solder joints.

Those are the two biggest I see. Other than that, the actual part that activates when you push down on that particular button does fail at times.

I just put new batteries in it so that's not the problem. Also, I don't see it being the activating part (whatever it is called) as it would only not work on a single button. Where do I need to look for broken soldering joints? I can get a picture if you need one.

Really, it's hard to tell broken solder joints without some sort of magnification.

I'd just take a multimeter and go around measuring voltage throughout. You will eventually figure out where it does and after what point it doesn't have power.

Back of my buttons brokeded! I super-glued foil on to fix that!

What broke the solders or the rubber buttons themselves? Can you whore parts off of another remote identical to yours by any chance?

It was just the conductive paint on the back side of the buttons. It had worn off. This foil really did the trick, and seems to be standing the test of time fine too.

Really, it's hard to tell broken solder joints without some sort of magnification.

I'd just take a multimeter and go around measuring voltage throughout. You will eventually figure out where it does and after what point it doesn't have power.

I don't have a multimeter so this might be where I get off. So chances are the current cannot make it's complete loop?

It was just the conductive paint on the back side of the buttons. It had worn off. This foil really did the trick, and seems to be standing the test of time fine too.

Did that solve the trunk issue with it not opening with the key as well?

Did that solve the trunk issue with it not opening with the key as well?

Sure did. EVERY function now operates as it should.

I may have extra key fobs for you guys in the "lost keys" drawer at work... post a pic of what they look like TehWinGP and oldscsc and I'll see if I can find a couple for you guys to whore out.

The fob for my dad's Malibu were all worn out (like the writing and it just didn't work right), so I took the rubber pad out of one and swapped it and the trunk works again now, too! That's why I thought of you, Buck.

Thanks for the offer 3.1Lumina (Dave)? I really don't need another remote. I bought one (on an as is/untested basis) from JimmyFloyd. He threw in another remote. I bought an extra so I could unlock my car from the house instead of having to go unlock it and bring the keys back in.

Thanks though!

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed a fun thing with mine. I'll be outside standing right next to the car and the damn thing will refuse to unlock. I then smack the fob against my palm and voila, it opens. :lol:

when i got my car i got a set of remotes

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

they both worked. then the one i use the most stop working i changed the batt and it started to work again. few months later it stopped working, when you press the button it lights up but nuttin happens can anyone help me out?