3.1 belt tensioner upgrade

Myotis1134

Does anyone know if there is a really heavy-duty belt tensioner assembly out there? Since I've had my euro I've broke four of the damn things. It seems like they make them really fragile, and I'm starting to suspect that it is on purpose. Does anybody make them out of steel? Or is there a mod I can do to the car that will allow me to use a newer/stronger tensioner setup?

what year is your car, and are you breaking used OEM ones, or new aftermarket ones?

The earlier 3.1's had relatively strong tensioners. The later ones usually seen on 3100's/3400's are a bit more problematic.

The aftermarket ones made by Gates or Dayco are decent.

what year is your car, and are you breaking used OEM ones, or new aftermarket ones?

The earlier 3.1's had relatively strong tensioners. The later ones usually seen on 3100's/3400's are a bit more problematic.

The aftermarket ones made by Gates or Dayco are decent.

x2! I've now seen 3 different versions on 2.8/3.1/3100/3400 tensioners. only the earliest type is durable. get one from a j/y off of a 93 and down car, and it must have a METAL pulley. that seems to be the best one.

My car is a '91, and my options up here in AK are limited to Schucks/CSK, NAPA or Carquest. I asked all stores about their pullys, and was told that they are made of thermoplastic (which sucks). As I plan to install an underdrive pully setup this summer, do any of you think it is possible to modify say the alternator mounting bracket, so it could be manually adjusted, and just get a slightly smaller belt?

With so many parts being made from billet these days, I'm surprised there aren't any out there, as a tensioner pulley made from billet, or anything other than fucking thermoplastic, would solve the whole breakage problem.

I wandered off topic a bit. So ordering online seems to be my best option. Any website recommendations? Maybe gmpartsdirect? If I can find a decent vendor I'll get a couple just in case.