Water Leak; Not Heater Core?

GP1138

So, I bought this Cutlass under the impression that the reason the backseat was wet was because the heater core was leaking coolant. I pulled off everything under the dash down to the core, and it's dry. Drove it around today for a good long while and nothing, not a drop. It looks fine, doesn't appear to be damaged in any way. Also, it really didn't appear that the front carpet was wet at all, just the back seats. Has anyone else run into this type of situation?

The trunk seems to be dry as well, and it rained good and hard yesterday.

Is this a vert? if not, then it could be the rear window, which is held in and sealed by a bead of Urethane. If you pull back the headliner a bit, or the sail panel trim, you can see it a bit. Any daylight showing through, well, there you go.

I'll have to look at it. As it is, the headliner isn't sagging but it is pulled up at the edges. I'll have to get the hose and spray it some. At any rate, I just went for another drive and gave it hell and there's no leaking from the HC at all.

I bet it's the rear window. The GP has this issue, the seal and the trim that goes around the window is fucked, and it's my understanding that this was a warranty issue that they tried to fix but it never happened.

Mine is leaking on the passenger side towards the top of the roof underneath where the dome light would be. It's shitty but its a slow leak, I'm going to just get the window replaced I think.

The trim, "seal" piece on the back window doesn't really seal anything. It's the urethane that does. If anything, it blocks out dirt/ debris, and sheeting water. but it's not watertight to begin with. As stated earlier, just rip off the trim/ headliner from inside, and look for light shining in between sheetmetal and glass.

The trim, "seal" piece on the back window doesn't really seal anything. It's the urethane that does. If anything, it blocks out dirt/ debris, and sheeting water. but it's not watertight to begin with. As stated earlier, just rip off the trim/ headliner from inside, and look for light shining in between sheetmetal and glass.

My trim is screwed allowing more water in on top of the leak. Chances are the leak won't be big enough to let "light" in.

Does it have a sunroof? Could be a disconnected sunroof drain

I was going to mention this, but since you have roof then:

I bet it's the rear window. The GP has this issue, the seal and the trim that goes around the window is fucked, and it's my understanding that this was a warranty issue that they tried to fix but it never happened.

Mine is leaking on the passenger side towards the top of the roof underneath where the dome light would be. It's shitty but its a slow leak, I'm going to just get the window replaced I think.

We had a 2003 MC SS that was leaking on the passenger side floor (front and back) it turned out to be the sunroof drain tube was not connected to the body of the car. (This car must have been stored in a garage prior to sitting at the dealership, it was fucking MINT like brand new with only 3000km).

It's probably a slow leak, if it's sitting out in the rain or whatever to accumulate. The foam under the carpet (if it's the same as that MC) will be SOAKED like a sponge (especially if it makes it's way to the front). You might want to consider a new carpet then. It might be best to get a leak guy to check it out.

The car that's leaking has no sunroof. I have carpet from my '94 to install in it.

I've been driving this car around with half the interior removed for like a week now, and no leak. :lol: So I'm going to swap the carpet from my '94 in (have to get an awl today) and wait to see if the leak returns. If it does, I'll suck the water out and find where it's coming from, but hopefully it'll become apparent when I remove the backseats. I also hope to put a sunroof in the car at some point, but we'll see.

Just out of curiosity... how wet was it? Is it possible that it was something as stupid as snow that got tracked inside the car and melted before you bought it?

No, it sat since November until I came and got it. Funny thing was that the carpet was wet after it had been sitting. I'm guessing there's a bad seal somewhere and snow melted on the carpet. Strange.