Coolant Question.

Bryan921SS

Hey guys, first post but longtime user. Got a 96 2 door cutlass supreme with the 3.1. The car has had several new thermo's, a new water pump, 2 coolant flushes in the last 10 months and a new tranny a just before x-mas.

The cooling system is driving me crazy....The overflow tank is currently just about dry, which happens every 3-4 months. The top of the engine is dirty, but all the hoses are fine/new as well as the pump.

So, no over heating problems, no warning lights etc. Could it be the LIM, the heater core(even though it blows hotter air then my 07 MCSS) or a head gasket?? The oil is a perfect color, and I have never had any mechanic or oil change guy tell me that the oil was bad(I run synthetic high mileage).

I have searched around but there are so many threads, hopefully this one wont get added to the pile with all the others....thanks guys!!!and gals :)

Ok, so how hard is it to 1) pressure test it, and 2) replace the LIM??? I am somewhat mechanically inclined but I don't have a lot of specialty tool etc.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

if it never had the lim gaskets replaced it probably is the problem. all of the 3100's and 3400's will need to be replaced. it is probably a good afternoon job but get a factory service manual.

I had the entire top end rebuilt 5 or 6 years ago. I will have to call the shop that did it and see if they replaced the intake gaskets. From what I read online these things don't leak for a long time. Do they pretty much just go and then you get oil in your coolant, or coolant in your oil??

Normal gaskets on these engines only last about so long. I had about 98k on my stock gaskets before I had to get them replaced. Also, when you do get them fixed, get the metal Felpro gasket set. Once you see mixing lubricants and coolants, it's pretty far gone in terms of the gaskets. If you're slowly losing coolant and not seeing any in your oil then you caught the problem just in time if it is your gaskets.

take off your oil cap and see if the oil is milky. If its not then its not the LIM.

Why dont you get it pressure tested and see where the hole in the system is instead of making guesses as to what it could be, since there are numerous things that would cause you to loose coolant.

The oil in the valve covers is a little cloudy/milky but the oil on the dip stick is nice and clean and clear.

DING!

usually milky oil is seen on the oil cap first, as the moisture in the oil will condensate on the cooler higher areas first. If you see it on the dipstick... your engine will likely already have suffer bearing damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Little Update...

This morning I was woken up at 5am by my g/f saying that the low coolant light came on and the engine was getting hot. She pulled over, filled her up with coolant and drove it home. Car runs fine and isn't hot/out of normal op temp.

So I have been calling around to get LIM quotes...$525 locally. The way I see it is the parts would be $300-325 for me to do it, so why not pay the extra $200 and get it don't by an ASE mechanic. So next week it will be going in....Anyone want a 96 2 door Cayanne Red Cutlass Supreme?? New tires, new brakes, rebuilt tranny 3K ago, new water pump, new alternator, starter 2 years old, soon to have new LIM!! What do you think I could get for her this summer???

Little Update...

This morning I was woken up at 5am by my g/f saying that the low coolant light came on and the engine was getting hot. She pulled over, filled her up with coolant and drove it home. Car runs fine and isn't hot/out of normal op temp.

So I have been calling around to get LIM quotes...$525 locally. The way I see it is the parts would be $300-325 for me to do it, so why not pay the extra $200 and get it don't by an ASE mechanic. So next week it will be going in....Anyone want a 96 2 door Cayanne Red Cutlass Supreme?? New tires, new brakes, rebuilt tranny 3K ago, new water pump, new alternator, starter 2 years old, soon to have new LIM!! What do you think I could get for her this summer???

Make sure to call your local GM dealer as well... They did mine this Monday for $574.80, and that was for changing the LIM and doing the dist. o-ring gasket (which I highly recommend you replace as well, because unless its been done, it WILL leak)... Plus for the little bit of extra money, you know you are getting the good gaskets (the metal GM ones), and not whatever one the garage uses (which will probably be a plastic one)...