W-body exhaust system

2buickbob

I still have my original exhaust system, some 17 years later. Yes, it's a warm weather 3800 Regal coupe.

Please confirm that all of the exhaust components are "unitary." I mean, the tailpipe, converter and muffler are all R&R by soldering just that ONE component. Am I right on this?

W-body exhaust is one piece from the flange in front of the cat to the split in the piping between the y pipe and the left muffler.

W-body exhaust is one piece from the flange in front of the cat to the split in the piping between the y pipe and the left muffler.

What about for single exhaust? I guess what I'm asking is are (1) cat, (2) long piping, (3) muffler, and (4) exhaust pipe all separate replacements once this is needed? Mine discharges at the right rear of the car, when looking at the car from behind.

Thanks.

All the stock welds are designed to be cut and enough pipe left over for replacement of parts at least one time. For example, the downpipe is welded to the cat pipe. I believe the shop manual says to cut the pipe 1/8th of an inch behind (or infront) of the weld... but just the outter pipe and not the inner; they are slip joints, not butt joints. It should go downpipe, cat converter (including the little bend upward and then downward), pipe that curves around the gas tank and either over or under the supension (depending on year) then muffler. Don't pat yourself on the back too much about the age of the pipes, they are all stainless. Unless the pipes are crushed I do not see any need to replace them ever really. If you need a new muffler, cut it off and clamp another on.

Don't pat yourself on the back too much about the age of the pipes, they are all stainless. Unless the pipes are crushed I do not see any need to replace them ever really. If you need a new muffler, cut it off and clamp another on.

Right, the stainless steel system is great. So, yes then, it is a "unitary" system. That's good to know.