Engine oil and resonator

lb79theone

I did not want to make two seperate threads for these questions so here they arre.

1.) I have a 1997 LS Monte, what engine oil do you recommend for this car/ the best engine oil out there?

2.) Should I run a resonator in my exhaust? http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/resonators-25-30-p-196.html

^ this one good?

Here is a video of my exhaust, not that good but I want a lower growl and not necessaraly quiter exhaust though.

th_winterAce024.jpg

What do you guys think?

Thank you in advane!

In my 3100 Lumina, I run Castrol GTX 10w30... Mine has almost 150k miles on it though, so I don't feel comftorable running that thin of an oil in it... I don't see any problem with 5w30 in yours though since you have a lot less miles than I do... I use Valvoline in my LTZ, just because that is what oil the previous owner used, so that is what I stuck with.. I've always heard that it is best to stick with the same kind of oil if at all possible, but I don't know if there is any truth to that...

In my 3100 Lumina, I run Castrol GTX 10w30... Mine has almost 150k miles on it though, so I don't feel comftorable running that thin of an oil in it... I don't see any problem with 5w30 in yours though since you have a lot less miles than I do... I use Valvoline in my LTZ, just because that is what oil the previous owner used, so that is what I stuck with.. I've always heard that it is best to stick with the same kind of oil if at all possible, but I don't know if there is any truth to that...

i use 10w30 i only suggested 5w30 because he lives in a cold climate

and i have heard that about switching oil also

I have been doing some research and I think I am going to switch to Amsoil and a K&N Oil filter... and what will a resonator do to the sound? Make it quiter or?

AMSOIL!! best synthetic out there!???!!!????

Resonator? still loud but less raspy??

Amsoil is a very good oil, but it is also very spendy. I wouldn't waste money on putting expensive oils in a 3100, when it will probably run the same with any other oil imo. Same thing with oil filters, just run an AC Delco or WIX oil filter, they work very well and are inexpensive.

If you must run a synthetic, the Supertech oil WalMart carries is actually a good oil.. and its inexpensive. I'm running it in my 91 GP right now, along with an AC Delco PF52.

Pfft just lay cardboard on the ground and weasel your way under there. :lol: Seriously though, if I can get under my GPs with intact lower valences, you can do yours :willynilly:

Cardboard is in short supply around here!

Don't worry, I'll use cardboard. I won't waste money on ramps. And I'll think of you while I'm under there getting all hot and oily and flustered! ;)

That's what I'm using next change Nick!

I need low profile ramps though! :(

buy those plastic looking rhino ramps they are 35 dollers at autozone i have them and they are great the even fit under my moms grand am

I use my floor jack most of the time, and put a small jackstand (wood blocks work too) under the subframe and lower the jack until it starts touching the stand, though I leave 90% of the weight on the jack, I use the jackstand just in case. You don't get a second chance when your melon is under the subframe and over 1,000 lbs. Ramps are easier, but most w-bodies botom out on them before the tire is close. My Z24, and van work fine on them and the Buick scrapes, but makes it up. I've had a nice jack and set of stands, but last summer my mom found some metal ramps for 50 cents at a rummage sale and gave them to me :lol: they work great.

whatever synthetic is on sale, and yes on the resonator. AC delco or Napa gold filters although it seems they've both been cheapened up recently.

Just roll a floor jack under the subframe and take some weight off the suspension (not taking the wheels off the ground) when doing an oil change, makes it easier to get under there.

Just back it up with a jackstand for safety.

Normally I just use my Rhino ramps, but the TGP is too low, thats where my 2.5 ton aluminum low profile jack comes into play (only 1.5" from floor to top of jack pad)