Lumina longevity in earlier 4 cylinder models - was always curious abou this?

2buickbob

I remember that Luminas had 2.5 Iron Dukes through 92 and had the 2.2 4 cyl. for 93, then going up to a base of a 3.1 V6 from 1994 on. Now, while I like my 3800 V6s very well, I always thought the base Lumina coupe in 4 cyl form with an engine compartment with that much room was kind of interesting.

Does anybody know how these turned out? Did they last, or did these engine experience some premature major component failure? (I know 2.2 Ecotecs are pretty reliable nowadays). (If I recall, these models may not even had A/C as standard, am I right?)

I don't think that they were that bad.

The problem is - in terms of longevity. Most base models are beaten on more than the upgraded or upscale ones. Also, you're less inclined to fix a base model - I'm making the assumption that the bases only had the 4-banger. Just less options makes things less enticing to fix.

I've seen a lot more granny owned 4 cylinder Luminas than 6 cylinder - though, amazingly, I have yet to see a 2.2 car in person. Most have low mileage when they were wrecked but the 2.5 is generally bulletproof save for the timing gears.

I've actually never seen a 4 cyl Lumina in person.

I remember seeing a few here and there at the dealerships when new...they had hubcaps, looked a little austere and always had the unbelievable "loss leader" price stickers attached. Still, these were 2.5s and I never once saw a 2.2.

I took 2 screws from the most base lumina I ever saw in the junkyard. It was burgundy inside and out and in decent condition. It had a 4 cyl but I dont really know how to differentiate between the 2.2 and the 2.5

I took 2 screws from the most base lumina I ever saw in the junkyard. It was burgundy inside and out and in decent condition. It had a 4 cyl but I dont really know how to differentiate between the 2.2 and the 2.5

They look completely different IIRC. I've seen both in the yards but honestly get a 3.1.