Help! What happened?

j_mezz

I win I win, shitty luck man, get the Gates Timing belt kit on rockauto.com, it's like $130 or so, that's where I got mine. Everyone on here told me Gates is better than AC Delco. Gates belts come from the factory on our $30,000 Italian Knitting machines at work.

Sucks, but that belt is laughable!

That was my next question...Gates huh? The dealer said they could set me up with the parts i'd need for $400. Time to find a new dealer, eh?

I checked out that doc, I think I can do all that. I will have a question about 'setting the rear cams timing', but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I'll revive this thread in the spring thaw and let you know how it turns out...

I think I paid about $330 for all the timing belt components at the dealer when I did mine a few years back, but that is also at wholesale pricing.

Yeah, the Gates kit comes with everything you need. Looks like I must have got it on sale, or the price went up.

GATES Part # TCK192 {4 Components (1 Belt, 1 Tensioner, 2 Idlers)}

$173.89 $0.00 $173.89

No, that's the right belt, it's just supposed to be about 2 " wider...I think that tends to be how they go though - they get skinnier and skinnier and eventually start to stretch. The teeth are there but they're face down.

OK, i'll check out etoolcart, might as well order them now. Are these all the cam specific tools I'll need or did I miss one?

cam flat tool (front and rear?)

cam gear puller

cam gear holding tool

$2k for a t-belt!?!?!? :eek:

want to do it and were trying to scare you off :lol:

my old man used to work at a midas muffler shop, and if he didnt want to work on something, he would bid it way high and pretty much tell them to go have sex with themselves.

OK, i'll check out etoolcart, might as well order them now. Are these all the cam specific tools I'll need or did I miss one?

cam flat tool (front and rear?)

cam gear puller

cam gear holding tool

Yep, those are the ones I got, but you will need another sprocket holder to use when pulling the sprockets. Not this one, but this is what it looks like:

http://www.etoolcart.com/camshaftsprocketholder499207100.aspx

You're gonna be putting a ton of torque on the sprockets to actually pull them, and there's no way you can do it without holding them with a tool something like that one without getting creative. I managed the "creative" way using three 6" long 3/8" drive ratchet extensions, an 18" breaker bar, and vice grips :lol: . It was far from ideal though!

I take it thats not the right belt. I thought the timing belt was supposed to have teeth on it and not look like a fan belt. :eek:

:lol2:

I managed the "creative" way using three 6" long 3/8" drive ratchet extensions, an 18" breaker bar, and vice grips :lol: . It was far from ideal though!

Care to elaborate; this sounds interesting

Care to elaborate; this sounds interesting

Sure, why not! :lol:

Two 3/8" drive 6" long extensions go through two of the holes in the sprocket puller. Then the breaker bar (a craftsman, so it rectangular) is laid across the the top of the extensions protruding from the puller, near the end. The third extension gets held up below the two extensions, parallel to the breaker bar placed on top of them. Then a vise grip is used to clamp the whole mess together, sort of sandwiching the extensions.

I then held the breaker bar down with my foot (my cam carriers were off the motor), and started cranking away on the puller. Just pay attention to the whole assembly you've put together so that it doesn't come apart while you are torquing on the puller, or you won't be happy. Also, do NOT do this with the cam flat holders on at this time. This method holds everything tight enough to get the job done, but is definitely does NOT keep the cam from rotating a bit during the pulling process. There WILL be enough torque to rip the cam flat holders right out of the carriers.

If none of this made any sense, I'll snap a pic when I pull the remaining two sprockets, and you can see how I held it all together.

• 2 months later...

Update and question...

It's starting to get warmer so I'm starting to collect the tools and parts to give this a shot. I ordered the Gates timing belt kit from rockauto.com (about $170 now), and am now looking for the tools. I spoke to a guy at Etoolcart.com who directed me to the tool kit described in the link below. My question is - are those the cam flat tools pictured on the right? They look different from the tool in the walkthrough I got from Manic, but they do look like they would perform that function and I think the vague description says that's what they're for.

Does this look like all the cam tools I'll need to do the job?

http://www.etoolcart.com/general-motors-camshaft-timing-tool-set-otc6045.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

The project has started! I got it mostly all apart but I'm stuck. I can't get the cam gear bolt out. I've got the holding tool attached to my breaker bar, and I've got a long, 1/2 ratchet W/ 15 mm socket, but that damn bolt won't budge! I haven't tried the rear ones but I've tried both of the front ones and can't get either one. They're not reverse threaded, are they? Any suggestions on how to break them free?

Here's where I am so far...

If those bolts have been on there for a long time, they will be tough to remove. I had my cam carriers off when I removed mine, so my impact wrench made quick work of it.

Unfortunately the only real advice I can give is get more torque on the head of the bolt, and it should come loose. And no, they are not reverse threaded.