Analog/Digital OnStar - anyway to tell which is which?

supreme_style21

Not that I'm ever gonna use it, but I'm curious as to how to tell the difference between an analog, digital, and analog/digital system? From what I've been reading, 2002-2004 models could be an analog/digital system.. anything prior to 2004 could be a solely-analog system, but in those few years, they could have been converted to a digital system? Is there any way to tell if it's been switched over?

Call your dealer, give them your VIN and they can tell you if it's analog or digital. They can also tell you if it has the capability to be upgraded to digital if needed.

Call up and give them your VIN, they should be able to tell. From what I've read just about everything below an 02 was analog and everything above 04 was digital, its the 02-04 that the dual mode ones were made. A dual mode (analog/digital) one will still work, just like a dual mode cell phone.

GM says the parts are not interchangeable, but I'd bet the OnStar equipment is just like the car phone transceivers, which can be replaced. They just don't want to do it.

Ok, that's what I thought. My 02 doesn't have the antenna on the back window like most others I've seen. I'm not super concerned about it, just more curious. I'll have to call when I'm serious about it. thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

If you'd be opposed to spyware on your computer, why would you invite it into your vehicle?

I went out of my way to disable the OnSpy on my vehicle.

Yeah...because I'm pretty sure that NOBODY cares where you are driving.

If you'd be opposed to spyware on your computer, why would you invite it into your vehicle?

I went out of my way to disable the OnSpy on my vehicle.

WOW LOL!

One more thing.. I was bored the other day on a long drive, so I was screwing around with the onstar.. WTF is the "security" option you can access via voice? If you push the little white dot button and say 'security', it asks for a security code.. say any code you want and it says 'SECURITY.. ON'.. what the hell security did I turn on?

One more thing.. I was bored the other day on a long drive, so I was screwing around with the onstar.. WTF is the "security" option you can access via voice? If you push the little white dot button and say 'security', it asks for a security code.. say any code you want and it says 'SECURITY.. ON'.. what the hell security did I turn on?

I don't own a car new enough to own. My guess is that it is some sort of subscription-based feature.

I had OnStar on the GTP. It had an analog cell phone antenna sticking out of the rear window. I guess one way to check if it's analog or digital is to see if OnStar works anyway, because analog OnStar systems were depreciated early last year and no longer work.