Locked key in Car - 98 intrigue

jimmyfloyd

Ok, so I was working on the car, finished, and being stupid, locked the car, but forgot to grab the key. It's the only key also.

So, how do I go about getting back into the car that doesn't involve breaking a window? (I have a spare window just incase it comes to that, but I don't want to be cleaning up glass forever.)

okay, get a long rod, like for those campaign signs, and straighten it out, after you have done that, you attempt to poke it through between the door jam and the door itself, attempting to activate the powerlocks.

if that doesnt work, get out a coat hanger, straight it out, and attempt the same thing, but the campaign signs work soo much better, if you have one lying around....

IF that doesnt work, just call a lock smith, and he can break into your car for about 30-40 bucks or so, a lot cheaper than having to put a new window in.

Please, don't do something stupid like break the windows.

once you have gotten into the car, go to your local westlakes hardware or lowes or something and get a few spares made.

there is always the

BFH

/end thread

interesting idea with the antenna mast. I'll have to try and find one since I doubt my power one would help any. Where on the Door frame is preferred? And what about messing up the weather stripping?

I has tried quickly to slip a coat hanger between the window and door skin to catch the lock bar, but that didn't seem to work.

I do have a spare window already which cost me all of $4, so the BFH idea is still not ruled out, but cleaning up glass sucks.

I'll give this a try tonight and see what happens.

i replaced mine with a nozzle for a water squirter  :sad:  I was actually gonna use if before I remembered that I removed mine

P7190056.jpg

I called the cops when I did this.  The d00d helped me out in a couple minutes.

What he actually did was get a plastic pry bar and put it between the top of the door and the roof close to the b pillar, pryed it open a little bit and put an inflatable bladder in the crack between the roof and the door, then pumped up the bag.  Now he was free to put his rod into my car (lawlz) and slide the lock forward.

basically the best way is if you can get a rod through somehow, then you'll most likely be able to get it open.

Yeah the police may be able to help you if they don't have anything better to do.

I called AAA when i locked myself out. He used a plastic wedge and put it in the top corner of the door to pull the door out. Then just stuck a long rod in and unlocked the door.

He actually tried to put an air bag in the corner first. It looks like a blood pressure device, but he used the wedge to pry the corner a slight bit, then he put the rubber bag in and tried to inflate it to get enough room for the rod, however his air bag had a leak and would not inflate.

That is when he just pushed the wedge farther in so he could unlock the doors.

ding ding ding (WRONG) the best thing to use is a universal bottom of the screen door insulation strip its extremely flexible and rigid and has a rubber protector on the bottom !

just wanted to update this. i was able to get into the car. made a slim jim out of a metal strap from Home depot (about 30" in length, bunch of holes for nails) and then I cut 2 notches in it near the end (~1.5" and 3.5" from the end) I then slid it in the passenger side, notches facing front, between the window and door panel, just above the handle and wiggled it around til I saw the lock move. Then I pulled on it and it unlocked it.

I then spent another 15 minutes trying to get the slim jim out, but all in all, I got the key out and am ready to work on it again. was too cold and snowy saturday to do it and the acura is in the garage waiting for the e-brake cables to come in the mail so I can finish up the rear brakes on it.