Front Left Speaker cuts out

dodgethis

Has anyone had the issue with a front or rear speaker that just cuts out? I was pulling into school and the front driver side speaker is not putting out any sound. The cd reciever i put in has not been a problem for 3 years until now. I can tap on the bezel that encloses the reciever to fit in the dash and it will cut on and off. I am guessing I will have to take apart my dash on my 98 lumina and try to figure out if there is a bent wire.

I seriously thought i blown out the speaker but when i tap on the bezel it will come back.

wtf? :willynilly:

Yea i probably will take the dash off and find out what the hell is the problem. I have one question however for all the monte's and lumina who have an aftermarket radio in their dash. What enclosure was used when the reciever was installed into the dash? I have always noticed on some that have arms on the side that would actually screw into the side of the box inside the cubby of the dash which secured it in. I was curious as to did someone utilize that, or did taking an plastic bezel and slap that in front of the reciever is the only thing thats securing the reciever in the cubby?

I ask this because I figure i could tidy it up a bit. There wasnt much room in the compartment so the front plastic bezel i bought just stick out about an inch. I have seen some setups where its flush with the whole dash. I like that setup and didnt know what was involved.

I personally hate the look of aftermarket HU's in these cars because they stick out so damn far. All of my Lumina's except my 97 LS have stock CD players that I swapped in. The 97 LS has an aftermarket that sticks out...going to change it soon.

I'll be interested to see the responses of how to make it flush.

me too, i was thinking of taking the flush mounting up myself, since i wanted to redo the head unit mounts cos when i go over some bumps, i have a nasty noise coming from the head unit area

I personally hate the look of aftermarket HU's in these cars because they stick out so damn far. All of my Lumina's except my 97 LS have stock CD players that I swapped in. The 97 LS has an aftermarket that sticks out...going to change it soon.

I'll be interested to see the responses of how to make it flush.

I had originally setup to put in a stock delco cd player, because it did come with the stock cassette. I hated losing the automatic volume change as I increased speed. What was that uh "SWC?" Anyway I had put in a Sony CDX200 in the vehicle. The reason why was I had bought a Stock Cd player from ebay and got scammed. I paid $50.00 for one and when it came in it just wouldnt play my cds, it kept spitting it out and saying CD ERRR. I just got pissed and said screw it and put in my sony reciever from my old car.

I mean the only benefit about having stock is it made the dash look better than having it stick out like a sore thumb like my aftermarket stereo does.

The one thing i didn't like about the stock was it couldn't play CD-RW. It couldnt recognize it or something and most of my collection is in that CD format. My Sony handles it with no problem. :wink:

i got a stock cd player that works great that i took out of my lumi back in the summer time. the only thing wrong with it is that a lot of the lights don't light up on the buttons at night.

had to do some hacking to get it to fit

humount.com

IDK if the GP one would work on the lumina or not.  of course, you'd have to have it custom made so it didn't say grand prix

DSCF0851.jpg?

My stock HU plays burned CD's fine... and all of my lights work too in it. One of my friends who lives close knows how to replace them; although on all of mine, the lights have not needed to be replaced, which I'm surprised at.

ahh wtf, mine is like out an inch farther! how did you do that?

Forget which kit I bought - but it came with 3 or 4 different mounting plates (flush, slightly sticks out, sticks out more..and the sticks out a shitload plates.

I used the flush ones. I cut the black plastic piece of the dash out in the back (used by the factory h/us for support on the back I assume). I cut it so the "hole" area is gone by the stock h/u is still supported by the bottom of the "hole" area. This gave me enough clearance to cram that Kenwood deck into the dash.

Believe me it's in there tight - I had myself pushed back into my seat cramming that sucker in there - but it fits great and nothing has ever gone wrong with the setup.

All of the harness and shit sits underneath the deck - so that helps support the aftermakret one a bit as well.

Thats what i did about the wiring. The receiver is sitting on top of the wiring. I think that's why my speaker is cutting out. I didn't have to take apart my dash. I just got a good grasp under the aftermarket housing of the receiver and pushed it up a little. I haven't had a problem since. I might have to take it apart sometime again if i want to fix my speedometer. I had replace my old cluster with a monte carlo one with a tachometer. I had also replaced the mileage piece on the new cluster to my old one. I did that to keep my mileage in sync with the car rather than subtract from the "Donor Mileage." When i put it all back together the car reads 5mph at rest. I just remember i am going 5mph less than what the needle says.

I am too lazy to fix it and frankly it doesn't bother me.

ahh wtf, mine is like out an inch farther! how did you do that?

Forget which kit I bought - but it came with 3 or 4 different mounting plates (flush, slightly sticks out, sticks out more..and the sticks out a shitload plates.

I used the flush ones. I cut the black plastic piece of the dash out in the back (used by the factory h/us for support on the back I assume). I cut it so the "hole" area is gone by the stock h/u is still supported by the bottom of the "hole" area. This gave me enough clearance to cram that Kenwood deck into the dash.

Believe me it's in there tight - I had myself pushed back into my seat cramming that sucker in there - but it fits great and nothing has ever gone wrong with the setup.

All of the harness and shit sits underneath the deck - so that helps support the aftermakret one a bit as well.

You must be a ninja or had the dash apart to cut that thing. Wanna clue in a non-ninja on how you went about cutting it?

Thats what i did about the wiring. The receiver is sitting on top of the wiring. I think that's why my speaker is cutting out. I didn't have to take apart my dash. I just got a good grasp under the aftermarket housing of the receiver and pushed it up a little. I haven't had a problem since. I might have to take it apart sometime again if i want to fix my speedometer. I had replace my old cluster with a monte carlo one with a tachometer. I had also replaced the mileage piece on the new cluster to my old one. I did that to keep my mileage in sync with the car rather than subtract from the "Donor Mileage." When i put it all back together the car reads 5mph at rest. I just remember i am going 5mph less than what the needle says.

I am too lazy to fix it and frankly it doesn't bother me.

Just pull the needle off and set it at "0" and you should be fine. I did that with my 96 and have had no problems since.