Gear selector not working

3pt1lumina

On my 96 Lumina, the gear selector started reading wrong. So I took the dash apart and the gear selector is separate from the cluster; It bolts onto the bottom of the cluster, and reads PRND321 on 95-96 and 97+ the PRND321 was on the cluster itself with just the orange indicator as the attachment. What it appeared to me is as if the cable is stretched. I had the wise idea to try and stretch the spring just a little bit to make up for the slack, and I stretched it too far causing it to not read at all.

My question. I'm sure I can find a spring somewhere...but that cable, is there a way to tighten it back up? Or do I need to get an entirely new piece? Also, I'm assuming it goes to the transmission? It runs down the column and from there I can't tell where it goes.

I'm fucking pissed at myself for this. How do I fix it now?

im not sure how you can fix it, but i do have the spring/cable you are talking about.

i have indiglo gauges in my lumi which were for a floor shift monte and the gear selector is covered up and not in use. so i can give you the spring and if needed i can figure out how the cable comes off and from where.

Dave, hit me up tonight if I'm around (I've gotta go to Geneseo but I should be home until around 6ish) I have one from my '95 Lumina from before I swapped the tach cluster in it. I'm pretty sure it's from a 95-96.

It's yours if you want it to see if it helps you? While you're at it you can have all the other Lumina/Monte crap I have. :willynilly:

Today on my lunch I got back in there and figured out what happened. That cable does run to the lower part of the column, and I saw where it "stretched" so I tied a knot in the little cable, and it reads fine except for when the selector is in "1"... but I never have it there anyways so I'm not concerned with it. I'll mess with it more when it gets warm out.

And I found a spring off of one of my old clusters, so I am good to go! Thanks for the offers boys. Joe, I'll catch up with you ASAP so I can make room for more Conquest parts for you! Maybe a rendezvous on Saturday if I have nothing going on. I'll have to check into that and see.