200,000 miles... What all should I do?!

Night Fury

So I had the trans and the coolant flushed yesterday.

I didn't buy it at a GM dealership.

idk about the whole flushing off the trans fluid......it might cause new problems....but whatever.... good luck buck!

when am i going to see this black eyed bombshell? you going to be doing j/y runs in KC now that you have a car that wont be showing up there for atleast 4 more years? :lol:

So I had the trans and the coolant flushed yesterday.

I didn't buy it at a GM dealership.

idk about the whole flushing off the trans fluid......it might cause new problems....but whatever.... good luck buck!

when am i going to see this black eyed bombshell? you going to be doing j/y runs in KC now that you have a car that wont be showing up there for atleast 4 more years? :lol:

Sure! I miss the j/y's already!

So.... They could only tell me what had been done under warranty.

Rear main seal replaced April 06 and again Feb 07

New remote key fob May 06

Front wheel bearing May 06

So.... They could only tell me what had been done under warranty.

Rear main seal replaced April 06 and again Feb 07

New remote key fob May 06

Front wheel bearing May 06

Well, there you go Adam!

I believe in making your own schedule rather than the one the factory offers.

I change my oil every 2,500 miles and use the same brand and viscosity of oil...I've heard you're not supposed to change around, so I've subscribed to that.

I change the spark plugs on my '92 Regal every 40,000 miles, finding out they are clean but, hey, it's peace of mind.

I've had to change plug wires twice now. It seemed like I would get a surge under load (long grade on a freeway). It seemed to happen at 45-50 mph, right as it went into OD. I thought it could have been a torque converter problem, but it didn't happen on straightaways. I figured, at 140,000 miles, I might as well get new plug wires, after reading that it could be the problem, particularly under a load condition. Well, it was, and the problem went away. Be warned, the plug wires have these metal attachments (at least on the firewall side of the 3800) whereby they just don't pull off like they do in the front.

Trans fluid...I've done mine every 25,000 miles. NO power flushes. Always a "drop the pan and replace filter" procedure at the GM dealer when they run an advertised special. If you haven't done this regularly, I'd tread lightly.

Air filters are cheap. I throw in a Kragen air filter for $8 every 10,000 miles.

Don't forget the fuel filter. About every 40,000 miles should do the trick.

Lastly, I just use the green stuff...whichever level (II, III) is recommended in the owner's manual. I just got a new radiator, so I have a 3800 that runs super cool...about 1/8 of the way up the temp gauge at all times.

2,500 miles for oil changes is waaay too soon. Even 3,000 miles is too soon. I usually try to do it every 4500 - it allows more time for the oil to break in. I've heard it's not always good having brand new oil in an engine. That's just what I've heard though.

2,500 miles for oil changes is waaay too soon. Even 3,000 miles is too soon. I usually try to do it every 4500 - it allows more time for the oil to break in. I've heard it's not always good having brand new oil in an engine. That's just what I've heard though.

I do mine every 2500 on my 100k + motors and 3k on my lower mileage motors. Use a synthetic blend too. I know that this may be overkill, but it's peace of mind for me.

I do mine every 2500 on my 100k + motors and 3k on my lower mileage motors. Use a synthetic blend too. I know that this may be overkill, but it's peace of mind for me.

It has worked for me. I find that, at 252,000 miles, I burn no oil in between oil changes and it only makes it a dark gold color when it is drained at the next oil change.

Still, the standard 3,000 miles intervals ought to be good, too.

2500 is overkill with even conventional oil unless you're driving in some pretty extreme conditions. The only way I'd change oil at that low of a mileage is if the car sits frequently/isn't driven much.

PS: My 260K mile engine that's had conventional oil changes done @ 4500-5000 mile intervals is insanely clean inside. It has excellent compression and doesn't leak nor burn a drop of oil.

Air filters are cheap. I throw in a Kragen air filter for $8 every 10,000 miles.

K & N filters are not cheap until you've replaced a Kragen or other cheap air filter 5x within 50K miles, then the K & N has caught up with the hardware investment and who knows how much gas you've saved and how much more you've enjoyed driving from the power increase and better sound, and then you wash it and use it for another 50K until you've put a million miles on it! Imagine if K&Ns were OEM--what a wonderful world it would be. I imagine paper airfilters piling up in landfills like diapers...

Seriously, switch to Amsoil and change your oil every like 5k. Soooo worth it.

Some people might say that running synthetic will increase your risk of leaks because of the smaller molecules, which is true but I doubt it would happen on your motor.

It's harder to find but that's slowly changing. Orielly's I would guess would have it. Otherwise go to their website and find a local dealer! Support your local economy.

It's not cheap something like $7 a quart up here, but its approved for up to 15k (on engines over 100k) with filter changes! Also, you might see an increase in MPGs!