got quote on tires brakes, shat my pants.

phantomFE3

i went to tires plus today to see how much it would cost me to put new tires on my car and get a brake job done (all 4 brakes) and boy was i not ready for the price they had. to put on 4 new yokohama tires and fix the brakes on my car (all 4 corners) it would cost me... take a guess! did you guess $989.63? because thats what it would cost for me to take it in and get all that work done. that includes 4 new yokohama tires (installed, balanced and everything) new front pads, new front rotors, 2 new rear calipers, 2 rotors and pads. not bad eh? YES! VERY BAD! im gonna make a list of everything i need on this list and go down to champion auto and see how much they would charge for everything. oh and what kind of car has the back brakes that will fit on my car that are a little bigger? i might go to the junkyard and see how much they will charge me for a whole new rear setup, fucking almost 1000 bucks... :yikes:

i went to 2 places, the first place charges 8 bucks a tire to mount and balance, and tires plus charges 11.50 a tire. im looking at khumo ecsta supra tires, rom jegs. they are the same tires on the vette, they seem to hold the road pretty well

wow 1000 bucks thats crazy. i am telling you 75% of the repair shops are trying to screw us. Just go to Auto Zone and get all the parts you need. Then find a mechanic to install them. The calipers are like 70 bucks a piece and the rotors are like 20 a piece with the pads for all 4 wheels like 30. I figure it would cost the guy at most like 150 in labor to put the shit on.

just go to a used tire store and find nearly new tires in your size at like 1/3 the cost. All done you would spend at most 500 bucks. If you dont to it this way you will end up spending more money then that car is worth.

Shop around for cheaper prices on tires, but the brakes you can do yourself. Save some money and do the work yourself, it isn't difficult.

i went to tires plus today to see how much it would cost me to put new tires on my car and get a brake job done (all 4 brakes) and boy was i not ready for the price they had. to put on 4 new yokohama tires and fix the brakes on my car (all 4 corners) it would cost me... take a guess! did you guess $989.63? because thats what it would cost for me to take it in and get all that work done. that includes 4 new yokohama tires (installed, balanced and everything) new front pads, new front rotors, 2 new rear calipers, 2 rotors and pads. not bad eh? YES! VERY BAD! im gonna make a list of everything i need on this list and go down to champion auto and see how much they would charge for everything. oh and what kind of car has the back brakes that will fit on my car that are a little bigger? i might go to the junkyard and see how much they will charge me for a whole new rear setup, fucking almost 1000 bucks... :yikes:

brakes are fucking easy. For the POS '89 I paid $70 shipped for 4 goodyear eagle GA's with a lil more than 1/2 tread and paid $9 per tire for install. So for about the cost of 1 new tire, I got all that

what kind of car has the back brakes that will fit on my car that are a little bigger?

http://www.w-body.com/index2.html (click on "upgrades" then go to "rotors" or "calipers")

http://aldridgec.home.att.net/index.htm (click on "brakes")

This is from an earlier post of mine:

A couple of years ago I had the rear brakes done on my '89 gp at Sears. At the time, it was the only car I had that was running and I had no garage (it was winter) and I had a toddler. So, in other words, I couldn't do it myself. I really hate having to take my car to a garage and pay full retail for the parts and a crapload of labor! But to the point: I think I payed over $500 to have new crappy factory style stuff put on (rotors, pads, calipers).

Right after that I got a letter in the mail about the lawsuit against GM for the W-Body rear brakes. The letter claimed that up to 80% of your repair costs would be reimbursed if you provided receipts. It took like a year, and I got back about $40. I guess they settled on a fixed sum and divided it up to everybody that sent in a claim.

This is why I feel ripped off! Just thought I'd share that.

Well, the rear brakes need done again. This time I'm going with the '94-'96 brakes & doing it myself.

They charge $80 per hr to do that shit. Fuckin ridiculous and that $80/hr is pur profit. Most of the mechanics will get the brakes done in half the time they charge you for too. If your damn good mechanic u can make damn good money.

next time i go my breaks it will take me 1.5 hrs with lifting and lowering the car

unless i use the college shop it be faster

i dont have to pay for mount and ballance i will do it myself at school

The GM labour rate here is $100.00/hour. Hell, if I can replace pads and rotors at 15 minutes per wheel, then it should only cost $100.00 for labour considering a mechanic has all the equipment and shit while I only have simple hand tools.

Seriously man, do the shit yourself and save some money.

They charge $80 per hr to do that shit. Fuckin ridiculous and that $80/hr is pur profit. Most of the mechanics will get the brakes done in half the time they charge you for too. If your damn good mechanic u can make damn good money.

Yeah it is pretty gay how the charge people. But its not gay if your the shop owner/mechanic doin the job. IF your a good ass mechanic and can do long hr jobs in half the time your gonna make a lot of money. My old high school charges $40/hr but i wouldnt take my car to those kids ive seen what they do to peoples cars.