Weight reduction

hoodilio

We all know that w-body cars are not the lightest cars in the world. And i would love to lighten up my Cutty. Anyone have any ideas on how i could reduce weight, i was thinking about removing the rear seet, and just carpeting the area.

interior isnt that heavy.

Your best bet for wieght reduction, remove speakers and audio equipment. Next, get to know someone that has a machine shop and is skilled with aluminum - and start having heavy steel parts replaced with light aluminum part...

*EDIT:* Oh, and spare tire too, thats kinda heavy if you want to risk getting a flat.

- Justin[/b]

Try the Atkins diet, or going to subway.

jared1011-sun.jpg

= Slow car.

jared21011-sun.jpg

= Fast car. Not just because of the weight, but the wallet too, food there is freakin expensive....

Seriously, you're pretty much stuck with a heavy car unless you really start spending the $$s on things like fiberglass front clips (which are available I believe, do a search), fiberglass hoods, (also available) and other things like that.

yah a company called usbodysource.com makes fiberglass hood with a 3 inch cowl for the 1993-1997 cutlass. Might bet one next summer or when i repaint my roof(cause the paint is bubbling). How much do u think the rear seats way.

No more than 5lbs, that is, if you have the bucket. My bucket in my Z34 weighs no more than 5lbs. The heaviest thing is the sound deading material behind the doorpanels, behind the back seat, and underneath the carpet. For racing purposes, might wanna remove the spare and the passenger seat.

You can get lighter wheels to reduce rotational weight. Rota and Centerline RPM's are great lightweight 16"/17" wheels.

Race seats up front. PepBoys has a sale on 3A racing seats right now. I know, PepBoys=Crap. But I've personally sat in these seats, and I think they feel great, I'm going to get some soon. Only $180 a peice too.

I think I know the seats you are talking about. I saw some that were black w/ yellow inserts and holes in the headrest for a harness, I am gonna pick me some up in a month, they'll match my interior swap perfectly.

No more than 5lbs, that is, if you have the bucket. My bucket in my Z34 weighs no more than 5lbs. The heaviest thing is the sound deading material behind the doorpanels, behind the back seat, and underneath the carpet. For racing purposes, might wanna remove the spare and the passenger seat.

seriously? I removed the seat in my 93 SE once but dont' remember how much it weighed/felt like it weighed....the front seats in my volvo(leather buckets w/ heated seat/electric controls) weighed a whopping 39lbs each :shock: ..and the rear weighed about 25ish minus the clips/brackets.....

Yeah..the seats are pretty light. The rear bench doesn't weigh a whole lot more than the rear buckets. One of the biggest weight robbers is the engine cradle. :shock: If you could find a way to adapt the aluminum 02-04 monte carlo cradle, that would save some weight. You could also spend $3,000 on a bowtie aluminum block (assuming you have a 60* engine), that would save 47lbs over stock configuration..and it would be stronger than the stock block. Oh..and there's always replacing your glass with a plastic substitute, but I'm pretty sure that's not street legal. :roll:

Race seats up front. PepBoys has a sale on 3A racing seats right now. I know, PepBoys=Crap. But I've personally sat in these seats, and I think they feel great, I'm going to get some soon. Only $180 a peice too.

Hey don't you think that's gettin a little ricey?

They're just seats. Anyway, my stock leather 21-way power seats don't really work anymore and they are pretty worn. It's not like I'm going to be claiming my cars a Type-R.