Those of you that have installed a newer radio in your gen1..

1990lumina

Yesterday I put a new light bulb in the cd player from my GTP parts car.

I installed it in the Lumina and it fits just perfect (very tight fit, but it does fit). While doing this I removed the brown and brown/wht wires from the power harness (orange, yellow, black) because when I turn the park lights on they kill the display on the new cd player.

I know some ppl have changed something on that harness to make the dim function work with newer cd players. What do you change?! It is just repinning the harness (maybe swapping the park light ground ground and park light wires in the harness)?

right now the stereo works awesome in the car, just doesn't light up at night.

As I was told, the gray wire in the "useless" pigtail (the one that wouldnt plug in) was my lights. In the "power" pigtail I needed to take the brown wire with the WHITE line on it and switch it. (PS, there are 2 brown wires, a solid and a brown with a white line) What I did was get some wire, sliced a VERY tiny slit in the coating around the gray and brown with white striped wires, stripped the ends of the wire I was jumping the gray to the brown, and electrical taped it all together. Works perfectly and it dims too!!

Alright- so right now I have both brown wires out of the power pigtail. The grey wire you are talking about is part of that harness that doesn't plug in to anything?? That grey wire is supposed to go where the brown/white wire is in the harness?

As I was told, the gray wire in the "useless" pigtail (the one that wouldnt plug in) was my lights. In the "power" pigtail I needed to take the brown wire with the WHITE line on it and switch it. (PS, there are 2 brown wires, a solid and a brown with a white line) What I did was get some wire, sliced a VERY tiny slit in the coating around the gray and brown with white striped wires, stripped the ends of the wire I was jumping the gray to the brown, and electrical taped it all together. Works perfectly and it dims too!!

Alright- so right now I have both brown wires out of the power pigtail. The grey wire you are talking about is part of that harness that doesn't plug in to anything?? That grey wire is supposed to go where the brown/white wire is in the harness?

It's so long ago it's hard to remember. By reading what I wrote earlier, this seems correct, yes.