RDS radio swap: got regal radio, no progress at all. end of pg 1

digitaloutsider

To avoid shitting up Sean's FAQ thread, and due to the fact I'm using a different radio, I'm making my own thread. So basically, here's a quick rundown. I've got this radio:

radio3.jpg

radio4.jpg

It uses the GM Dock n' Lock 2000+ radio connector, not what Sean used, and not what some of the other cars use, either.  I have a reverse harness from Scosche currently plugged into the radio which is soldered to an 03 Intrigue stereo harness adapter (they kept the same dash harness, but moved to an RDS radio). I am running into one problem: The POS won't turn on.

I don't know how to fix this, so I'm really looking for any ideas at the moment. Sean discussed a handful of things in his thread which I can't figure out how to apply to my situation, since I'm doing my own harness from scratch.

The harness pinouts are as follows:

radio1.jpg

radio2.jpg

I'm getting lost on the parts about the data bus. Apparently on the ALDL connector, there is a purple wire for the Comfort and Entertainment bus and a green wire for the Class-II serial bus. Sean states to splice these together. For testing purposes, I put a wire in both of the pins and then tap n' spliced one wire to run up to the radio (so essentially it's fuzing both the C&E and C2D busses together. Maybe I'm reading what Sean stated wrong. I don't have great reading comprehension skills. This creates another problem; as you can see from the chart above, it wants two separate data bus wires. This is where I'm hoping someone is a little familiar with this generation of radio. Does it want the same signal on both pins? (Tried this, doesn't work and it doesn't make sense). I'm starting to wonder if it wants the C&E and C2D busses on separate pins (but this doesn't make sense, because the chart shows the same circuit..). As far as functionality goes, the radio will show the clock if you hit recall, it'll load and eject CDs, you can hear the beep if you set the time, it basically does everything but turn on. It gets the signal to turn on from the data bus.. I just need to figure out how to make that happen.

Any ideas whatsoever?

There is no Ignition On wire for these cars, hence the reason you can't get it to turn on. You will have to make some module to mimic the data bus signal.

Truthfully, I'd get rid of the Auora/Bonneville/Park Ave/Lesabre radio that you have, and get something that will be 1000000x simpler to deal with.

There is no Ignition On wire for these cars, hence the reason you can't get it to turn on. You will have to make some module to mimic the data bus signal.

From what I understand, all the RDS radios turn on with a signal from the data bus, including Sean's. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the data bus. Or maybe I'm completely wrong on that and he'll chime into let me know :lol:

Slight update: Was out in the parking lot futzing with the radio and with key on, I touched the Class II data bus signal to radio, and for a second I heard a slight audible "click". It actually did this twice. Hmm..

You will either have to create some module to mimic the signal that it gets. Shouldn't be too hard, just more work than what it's worth.

I'm sticking with my original statement, I'd find a non G/H platform radio.

Now, that being said, wanna sell me the radio you got?

Tried a different take on the radio again..

Pinned Regal E1 (data stream) into the adapter harness. Fed it into A1 and A2 on the ribbon connector. Jumpered both the E&C and C2D bus wires at the ALDL. Absolutely no difference. Radio still won't turn on. Yeah Chris, I'm starting to think you're on the right track with the wrong data bus theory.

Okay, picked up a 2004 Regal radio. Got absolutely nowhere with it. Everything is connected per the 2004 Regal pinout I have, plus references from Sean's thread. The Class II and C&E busses are connected at the ALDL. Serial data is running to pin A1 on the connector per Sean's thread/Pinout from AllData. Nothing. The radio still will not turn on. I'm slowly beginning to believe that there must have been some major data bus change between 1998 and 1999.

I've tried:

Connecting just the comfort and entertainment bus

Connecting just the Class II serial data bus

Connecting both C2D and CaE at the ALDL and then using the green wire (stock harness)/orange wire(04+ harness)

The radio does the exact same thing the Park Avenue one did. Recall works, you can see/set the clock. The dimming works correctly on this harness. Nothing else. Nothing works.

Ugh, fuck I'm so pissed off. Blew $100 on this radio. Blew $25 on AllData for a fuckig car I don't even own. So, my official answer is: this doesn't work on anything 98 or below.

I'm getting most of my information from AllData and Sean's thread. I'm actually using an adapter harness to go from the 98's 32 pin harness to the 04's 24 pin harness instead of repinning. The adapter came from an 02? Intrigue and I hacked the end off and i'm splicing my '04 end on.

My pinout data is coming from my '98 GM service manual and AllData (for the '04).

Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Orange

Radio Ignition Switched 12V+ Wire: Yellow

Radio Ground Wire: Black/White

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange

Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow

Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/White

Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray

Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Dark Green

Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Violet

OBD-II Diagnostic connector

1. -

2. Bus positive Line of SAE-J1850

3. Chassis ground

4. Signal ground

6. K line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4

7. -

8. -

9. Bus negative Line of SAE-J1850

11. -

12. -

14. L line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4

15. Battery voltage

I deleted out some of what is not useful. Can't remember what is and what is not present on your plug, but that above may be somewhat useful.

Trying to find more info right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you be running into a theftlock issue? Most GM HU's 03+ use a form of theftlock where the BCM and radio need to be programmed to match. The radio becomes inop when it doesn't get the proper theftlock code from the BCM. If theftlock is triggered, I've read the radio needs to be reflashed.