got a key problem

swift13

on my 98 gtp i only have 1 key and its a remake but it is really worn down and does notlike to open the doors and trunk all the time.

My question is: Is there a way to get a new key made from the vin or would i just have to replace all the locks and crap cuz i really dont wanna do that.

im gonna put a keyless entry remote start on it but i still would like the key to be "fresh" (i dont know what else to call it.)

Your GTP doesn't already have remote keyless?? I find that hard to believe!

the system was replaced with a remote start before i got it. and it was also busted when i got it.

:( Ouch. What's wrong with it, out of curiosity?

im not sure exactly when i got it it had a remote and i seen the antenna and noticed it had remote start and an alarm but it didnt work, i looked under the kick panel and seen that there were 2 fuses pulled from the system so i put some new ones in and presto! it started going off like crazy and the remote wouldnt work(the battery was good) so i just pulled the fuses back out and left it for now.

they can cut a totally new one and not just go off the one i got is what i am assuming since you would need the vin and everything right.

Yes, just make sure you have all your information. Most dealers want proof of ownership before they cut a key by VIN.

Just take the current key to the dealer and they will cut a copy off of that.

It's worn out...did you miss that?

I would be willing to bet a new one that would work could still be cut off of the current key...

It depends how worn out it is. I mean if it is so worn there are no grooves left then it wont work. But even so, some of the keys that people bring in to have cut are so beat but they still cut them and they work, no comebacks.

To be safe so you don't have to go back multiple times, bring your title and registration with you, and they can cut off the VIN like others have said.

Better to do so in that case. I learned my lesson trying to have a key cut anywhere but the dealer. While it's a little more money and not as convenient, it's better to do it once rather than 4 times before it's correct.

Better to do so in that case. I learned my lesson trying to have a key cut anywhere but the dealer. While it's a little more money and not as convenient, it's better to do it once rather than 4 times before it's correct.

Exactly my point....

As far as your alarm goes. Lets try something else. Turn your ignition key to the on position, but not running. Put those fuses in, and see what happens.

ill try that but what are we expecting to come of this.

i no i need to get a dealer key made and i couldnt do it the other day cuz they were closed but i did today and the key works but still doesnt open the doors or trunk to well so i am going to get the vin key made for it. I was gonna have them do it today but my license doesnt match the registration address so i gots to deal with that for now.

ill try that but what are we expecting to come of this.

We are activating your alarm system. Most alarms, when powered, and properly wired, if the key isnt on, it automaticly assumes the car is being stolen, or something. With the key in the on position, it shouldnt go into "freakout" mode, and should then respond to your key FOBS, assuming they are the right ones for the alarm.