GP has developed some electrical issues..

Scottster

So the GP has been plagued by some ever increasing electrical issues lately, each of which compounding itself ontop of the others...

It started when over the summer the 15amp (blue) fuse would blow every once in a while, which is part of the circuit that controls all of the power accessories from the AQ9 seats to the power door locks and interior lights.

I'm assuming this was linked to the install of an i-pod fm transmitter that I had wired into the center console, which was wired inline with the antanna wire so I could listen to it like it was a radio station.

That blue fuse began cooking as soon as I would replace it (like instantly), so I have been goin with out the ability to listen to the ipod for about a month.

Then just this week some weird shit started happening when I would shut the console lid/armrest when the radio would flick on and off.

I so I unwired the transmitter from the 12volt cig lighter that it was wired to, and now the radio doesn't work at all. The running lights light up, but the digital display is black.

Needless to say this needs some serious attention, and now I am done school for the semester and have the time to take it all apart, but I think I will leave the wiring up to a dedicated stereo shop I trust here in town.

This is really pissing me off though, becasue I have always been spoiled with no electrical issues, and was blessed with funtioning AQ9's and everthing else on that circuit. Right now the car seems like a piece of shit with nothing working.

Beyond that I was looking forward to taking my keyless entry reciever to an electronics repair guy so I could get that system working again, but now I have this mountain of BS to get through first.

Seems like a short to ground somewhere, with a constant 12v lead, especially if the car was off (key out of the ignition) when you put in that fuse, and it blew instantly.

Time to pull out the DMM and trace wires back.

Seems like a short to ground somewhere, with a constant 12v lead, especially if the car was off (key out of the ignition) when you put in that fuse, and it blew instantly.

Time to pull out the DMM and trace wires back.

DMM? Thanks for the help BTW

You will have to do alot of voltage drop tests... Which is positive to positive (or negative to negative) on DC volts on a strip of wire... You should never see more than a volt loss from the start of the wire (usually a switch) to the end (usually a motor)

• 4 weeks later...

So to wrap this up, it turned out to be a short where I patched in the positive for the FM modulator into the juice going to the cig lighter. Also, the radio wasn't working due to a bad ground, another left over issue from when I regrounded it to eliminate the whining I was getting through the speakers.