My official under construction thread

axisofjustice9c3

Well, the weather is nice where I live this time of year, which makes me want to spend some quality time outside with my car. So I got started with getting her ready for next summer.

First I started by removing all the decals from the Pasco County Sheriff. So I got out the Aircraft Stripper/Decal Remover and got to work, here I have made my Mom do some laborous scraping:

12-02-08_1557.jpg

After the scraping I ended up with (in addition to a tired mom):

12-05-08_1710.jpg

When darkness fell and I gave up on the sanding wheel for the eve I had:

12-05-08_1711.jpg

All temporary primed waiting for me to continue when the rain goes away:

12-11-08_0948.jpg

Those tools are pretty sweet, i've never used one but heard good things. I do custom vinyl graphics and i have always wondered if one of those would be worth the investment....

So why don't you just paint the entire car? White is tough to blend

Out of all of your choices, white is the easiest to work with. The lighter the color, the harder it is to see imperfections. Try owning a black car for a while.... :frown:

Those tools are pretty sweet, i've never used one but heard good things. I do custom vinyl graphics and i have always wondered if one of those would be worth the investment....

All you need is the eraser. You can put in a cordless drill or anything applicable that spins.

So why don't you just paint the entire car? White is tough to blend

Out of all of your choices, white is the easiest to work with. The lighter the color, the harder it is to see imperfections. Try owning a black car for a while.... :frown:

READ: Maintaining white is easier. Have you tried painting it. You can't see what's wet and what's not very well. Not to mention how many shades of white. It does suck to blend. :willynilly: :willynilly: :willynilly:

Black, no. You better have your body work spot on, otherwise any prep imperfections will show very easy in black. But black itself isn't nearly as difficult as white. White and silver are the two hardest colors to paint, let alone blend.

So why don't you just paint the entire car? White is tough to blend, iirc and blending period can be a bitch.

I'm going to have it professionally sprayed, I'm doing all the prep, the primer is temp, the whole car is being prepped but I can't leave bare metal until I next work on it. I was going to have my paint guy do ALL of it, but his shop was going to charge me extra for all the work involved before the car could even be prepped.

Why didn't you get one of these. Could've avoided painting altogether and just erased the decals off. Otherwise a heat gun and razor-blade? :dunno:

The entire car has chips and scratches, and the decals were partially removed (the actual department markings, and sheriff logos) by an overzealous auction hand who manages to take all the paint with them, and the rest were spray painted over (can't drive the car on the road because it counts as impersonation)

Why didn't you get one of these. Could've avoided painting altogether and just erased the decals off. Otherwise a heat gun and razor-blade? :dunno:

The entire car has chips and scratches, and the decals were partially removed (the actual department markings, and sheriff logos) by an overzealous auction hand who manages to take all the paint with them, and the rest were spray painted over (can't drive the car on the road because it counts as impersonation)

IC. Well, do it to it then, and good luck with yo project.

Black, no. You better have your body work spot on, otherwise any prep imperfections will show very easy in black. But black itself isn't nearly as difficult as white. White and silver are the two hardest colors to paint, let alone blend.

Hmmm. Having painted Black (never again). White (in a heartbeat), and owning silver/grey cars (little color or pigment, not my favorite anymore, as it doesn't wear or blend well at all)....I would have to vote for white for a first time experience. You can use something as simple as reducer to "match" or "blend", depending on how far off you are, due to the fact that it is much, much harder to see your lack of skill (in my case) in a lighter shade, than in a darker one.